Author Topic: Gypsies  (Read 6518 times)

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 November 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dutchhutch,

I think we need a little more information about your family before we can help :)

Do you have any certificates, birth, death, marriage for your parents, grandparents etc, if you don't want to put personal details on here, (living relies etc) you can PM either me or someone else on here who you might think can help, I know rob g has a wealth of information and has helped  me in the past.

The place and witness info on certificates can give you so many clues as to where to look next.

I enjoy the hunt, as do most of us here, so don't feel you are putting anyone out.  ;D

Yours Jane
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanx for taking the time to reply. Al try an get a hold of some cert's, marriage, birth etc. I will get back to you when or if I can get some info on my end. I really am grateful folks. I have found Hutchison, Chalmers, Cairns and Young on The Gypsy surname index of Great Britain but have been unable to gather specific info on family members, it never dawned on me til recentley how little I know about my family haha. I lived in a trailer for a few years some years back with my cousin and am thinking of moving back into one with my family. I don't mean to b a pain lol but really want my Daughter and nephews to be as proud of there heritage as I am. Once again thank you all for your help and I look forward to learning more about my Romany heritage, thank you all!!

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if you are still following this thread
My 5G Grandfather William Hutchinson was a Travelling basket maker
I believe he was born c1752 in Rockcliffe parish, right on the Scottish border
His cousin Peter was also a basket maker and his descendants travelled mainly in Scotland and Northumberland.
My Hutchinson's, sometimes spelled Hutchison's intermarried with Gregg's, Cunningham's, Lowther's, Millers, Berry's etc.
I have lots of info on these families
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.