Author Topic: Gypsies  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gypsies
« on: Saturday 06 November 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hey there. Was wondering if anyone can help me. I know little about my father or his family except that his and his fathers occupations were "Hawker". My father was a jack of all trades and both him and my grandfather always travelled around looking for work as well as collecting scrap and rags. They were Hutchison's and there families were the McCourts, Chalmers and Cairns' from Ireland. Do any of you think they could have been Travellers/Gypsies? Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
hi dutchhutch, the hutchisons are a old romany family, in fact my aunt was a hutchnson. there are lots still travelling, and quite a lot in scotland. i dont know if you have any scottish links?try the scotlands people site, some of it is free. olso my own family were hawkers, and what you have said would make me think that they were travellers. look at the surnames of the wedding partners of your family that should tell you more about your gypsy connections, good luck.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. My family are from Scotland although some of my family come from Ireland. I also have Young's on my mothers side. Once again thank you for your reply!!

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
hi, again just to let you know, if you dont already. the youngs are olso a scottish travelling family, i know lots of them. so it seems that you have romany blood. cushty bok.. good luck in romany. rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. How would I go about finding out more? It's quite difficult because no one knows anything much about my mum or dads families past my Grandfathers. P. S What does cushy Bok mean? Lol

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
cushti bok means good luck.cushti meaning good as you proberly heard del boy say on only fools and horses!!!!!!
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dutchhutch,

Welcome, it looks like you do have  Romany blood, I have a Mary Ann Hutchinson b: about 1861 in Chapelhall, Lanark, who married a Thomas Brydon, both Hawkers.
My main line is through the Young's.
Can you give us some details about your Grandparents and we may be able to help, they are a great bunch here and should have some answers for you.

Jane.
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 07:17 GMT (UK) »
My grandad on my mothers side was Anthony Young, he was brought up in an East London orphanage so little is known about his parents except that they were from Scotland. My grandparents on my dad's side were Margaret and William Hutchison and all I know is that some of my Di's family came across from Ireland in the 1800's. That's all I have been able to find out, nobody in my family seems to know much. I am sure there is a Mary Ann some where down the line, my cousin told me that.

Offline Dutchhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hey there evry1. Hope all is well. Just wondering if any1 had any further info? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you!