Author Topic: Robert McKenzie & Janet Henderson married 1821 Latheron  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McKenzie & Janet Henderson married 1821 Latheron
« on: Sunday 07 November 10 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  We've finally found what we believe are the parents of our ancestor, Alexander McKenzie.  On the original document of the marriage of Robert McKenzie and Janet Henderson, it looks as if Robert was from 'Kunhally'...and Janet from 'Guidilist' or 'Lurdithist, or perhaps G/Cui###disrict (?)'...but the writing is very very faint to read.  I think that the first name may be 'Knockally' which would be in keeping with the area of Latheron...but I can find no such town name similar to that of Janet's birthplace.  Does anyone know about the old town or parish names from 1821?  I'd love to know where Janet was from.
Many thanks
Rap.   

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McKenzie & Janet Henderson married 1821 Latheron
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rap

If you got the image of the OPR marriage entry from Scotlands People, and the image is too faint to read, you can always contact them and they will arrange for an enhanced section to be emailed to you. Can make a big difference and help. See this link for info www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=1210

Both Robert and Janet show in 1851 as born in Latheron (if I have the right family).

Robert Mckenzie 57, farmer
Janet Mckenzie 56
Agnes M Mckenzie 18
Catherine Simpson 20, visitor

Address: Rian, Latheron, Caithness

Have you tried searching for possible death certs for Robert and Janet to try and establish their parents' names from the certs. You might be able to find their birth/christenings, or siblings, on the Old Parish Registers which might give you further clues on place names.

Monica

PS: A map of Caithness c. 1822 www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/thomson.jpg
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McKenzie & Janet Henderson married 1821 Latheron
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
   That is wonderful help....many thanks!  I will see what I comes out of an enhanced section...it's my curiosity getting the better of me!
Thankyou also for the 1851 census details...I think that this is probably the right family, and it is nice to see that there were other siblings (possibly his youngest sister, Agnes) of our ancestor, Alexander born in 1827...so a great find!  Thanks also for the old map link....will enjoy having a look around that too!
So many thanks for your help Monica.
Best wishes
Rap