Author Topic: MacKinnon=Hopton  (Read 4370 times)

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MacKinnon=Hopton
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for some information on my husband's family: in particular some ancestors for Matthew MacKinnon b c1893 and Agnes Burns Hopton also b c1893 whom he married.  Matthew was a miner/mining contractor who then went on to own a mill.  Any family info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MacKinnon=Hopton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi PAt

I came across the birth of Mathew for you,but coudnt find Agnes im afraid.
Let me know what actual info you require and i will look for you.

Mathew Mackinnon  Born Strath   no 27     in 1892.

Angela(Fifer)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 07:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Angela

Could you please clarify where "Strath" indicates? 

I am looking to find Mathew's parents and where they came from.  Family stories differ about where the family originally came from.  It is supposed to be one of the islands, probably Skye, Tiree or Coll which they left in the Clearances.  So far though family stories on that side have not proved too reliable!

I would like to find any other info on Agnes: she certainly doesn't appear in English records as far as I can tell.

Thanks again,

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Strath is in Inverness according to the 1881 census there is alot of Mcinnons there then.
I will check what i can for you next week when i go back to the lds.

Angela
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I have managed to do a little more digging today and have found that, unfortunately, your Mathew is not mine!  I have found the record of his marriage to Agnes and his parents were apparrently called Matthew (again) and Margaret Burns.  No wonder those names appear in later generations. 

So thanks so much for your efforts, but we can forget about Mathew from Strath.  I will have to see where I can get to on these names now.

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd