Author Topic: COMPLETED POST Edward Brown -Occupation Brewer Tynemouth 1841  (Read 3999 times)

Offline BoroGenes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED POST Edward Brown -Occupation Brewer Tynemouth 1841
« on: Sunday 07 November 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the marriage of Edward Brown living in Bird Street Tynemouth in 1841 and married to Ann. His occupation is listed as Brewer and in the 1861 Census is listed as born in Preston, part of North Shields? I would like to find the maiden name of Ann and any other information about their parents etc.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Brown -Occupation Brewer Tynemouth 1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
How old was their eldest child in 1841 as that gives a rough guide to a marriage year

Were any of their children born after 1837
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 23:39 GMT (UK) »
This is the reference for the 1861 census

RG9/3842/23 p39

Edward Brown 55 is down as married and a brewer but his wife is not there. In stead he is with these people Thomas Dodds 29 Jane Dodds 26
Thomas W Dodds 5 Jane Ann Dodds 3. I think this is his son in law and daughter as on the 1841 census he has a daughter Jane 7 and a son William 2.

I would try looking for the baptism or birth registration as William (there are only a couple in 1838/9 in Tynemouth) as this will give the mother's maiden name.

Have you searched durhamrecordsonline to see if its there or the familysearch pilot site /
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking on the familysearch pilot site they appear to have William's baptism in 1839 and Jane's in 1834 at Christ's church Newcastle. Unfortunately they are not on the fam ilyseaqrch bishops transcripts on the site so you can not see them. The 1834 baptism also gives Edward's name as Edward Milburn Brown.

There is a 1833 marriage on durhamrecordsonline in 1833 in Tynemouth but you will need a subscription or pay a fee to see the details (there is another Edward and Ann Brown around at the same time - this other one is a joiner and they baptise a son william on 25/4/1838)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:17 GMT (UK) »
This is the reference for the 1851 census

HO107/2410/ 239 p 5

The family then consists of Edward Brown 44 Ann Brown 35 Jane Brown 17
Sarah Ann Brown 5 William Brown 1. Which means the 1839 Willima must have died but gives two other children whose birth registrations you could look for.

As there is only one registration for a Sarah Ann Brown of the right age in the right area that may be a good place to start

Births Dec 1845   Brown  Sarah Ann    Tynemouth  25 426

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Edward Milburn BROWN, Christened 10 July 1808, Christ Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland.
Parents, Nicholas BROWN and Jane MILBURN
(Source, Extracted IGI)

Sibling on same batch;
LANCELOT Brown, 10 December 1810 same details

Marriage;
Nicholas BROWN
Jane MILBURN, 16 February 1806, Elsdon, Northumberland
(IGI Extracted)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
You can see the baptisms of the children (3 of them) on the familysearch piulot site

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=0&p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1309819

They are in Northumberland

then Tynemouth

the Jane is in 1830-1835 page 605 of 690

William 1839 in 1835-1841 page 463 of 696

Sarah ann in 1841-1847 page 488 of 693

Unfortunately none give the mother's maiden name

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage in 1830 in the above records, Tynemouth 1826-1830 page 668 of 685. However this is between an Edward Millburn and ann Pearson. Given that Edward's name is Edward Millburn Brown it is possible the Brown bit was missed off. As one of the witnesses is Jane Millburn who could be his mother  its easy to see how this could happen. I think you will need to get Sarah Ann Brown's birth certificate, details as given above, to be sure of the mother's maiden name

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 November 10 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Lancelot Brown gives his POB as Preston, Northumberland in 1851 Census where he is in Heworth, Durham. He is a Blacksmith.
1841 he is in Tynemouth with Wife Hannah nee Tulip.
HO107/825/2/Tynemouth
HO107/2401/97/4

I agree with davidft a Birth Cert is needed :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)