Author Topic: COMPLETED POST Edward Brown -Occupation Brewer Tynemouth 1841  (Read 4001 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Brown -Occupation Brewer Tynemouth 1841
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 November 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Marriage;
Ann STEWART/Edward Brown, 12 July 1830, St John, Newcastle upon Tyne
Bit according to Anns age on Census entries this may be a little early.
(IGI)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 November 10 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Re message 8 - I think you have the wrong 1841 census there. He is on the 1841 as a brewer born 1811 (rounded) in castle ward with wife ann, daughter Jane, and son william

Re message 9 - I think that is Edward the joiner ie the other Edward and Ann Brown couple, they baptise a daughter Ann in 1831 at St Andrew's Newcastle
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 November 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you referring to me re message 8 davidft?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 November 10 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I dont understand?
I have the right Census for Edward in 1841/1851 etc
I was following his Brother Lancelot to see if any extra clues come up.

Trish :)

Offline BoroGenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 November 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the help. There are some very useful leads and suggestions. Last week I ordered a birth certificate for their son William, shown in the 1851 Census as one year old and this has answered my initial question. William Brown was born on 12 March 1850 in Tynemouth and Ann's maiden name is RIDLEY. Edward is listed as a Dray Man and the family are living in Church Street, which agrees with the 1851 Census address. I presume his title as Brewer was an inflation of status during the census return in 1841.

Through Google I have found that Preston was a settlement within the Tynemouth/North Shields area and also had a brewery.

Next step is to try and trace the family further back in time but obviously it is now going beyond the GRO and National Census start dates.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I dont understand?
I have the right Census for Edward in 1841/1851 etc
I was following his Brother Lancelot to see if any extra clues come up.

Trish :)

Apologies Trish, I didn't see that you were talking about Lancelot in that message - well it was very late
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Last week I ordered a birth certificate for their son William, shown in the 1851 Census as one year old and this has answered my initial question. William Brown was born on 12 March 1850 in Tynemouth and Ann's maiden name is RIDLEY. Edward is listed as a Dray Man and the family are living in Church Street, which agrees with the 1851 Census address. I presume his title as Brewer was an inflation of status during the census return in 1841.

??? Have you just received the certificate indicating the mother's maiden name was Ridley as you didn't appear to know it on when you posted your intial querry yesterday ?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Now we know the names of both parties I have looked at durhamrecordsonline again and there is an Edward Brown and an Ann Ridley marrying in 1833 in Tynemouth - hopefully to each other. If you buy credits on the site you can get the full details - or maybe first trying searching the familysearch pilot site page by page for 1833 (I did try yesterday - perhaps I missed it  ::))

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Now we know the names of both parties I have looked at durhamrecordsonline again and there is an Edward Brown and an Ann Ridley marrying in 1833 in Tynemouth - hopefully to each other. If you buy credits on the site you can get the full details - or maybe first trying searching the familysearch pilot site page by page for 1833 (I did try yesterday - perhaps I missed it ::))

The only 'Tynemouth' records on Durham Records Online are for Wallsend St Peter.
http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/PRInfo.php#NBL
(The records are classsified by Civil Registration District).
If you do a cross-referenced marriage index search on DRO for Ann Ridley, spouse Edward Brown, it comes up with the 1833 mariage David mentions.
The George Bell Index on Genuki gives the marriage on 14th July 1833. http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/NBL/MWAL.html

Jennifer