Author Topic: 1914 pub landlord in liverpool..how can i find ?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1914 pub landlord in liverpool..how can i find ?
« on: Sunday 07 November 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
My grt garndad was said to have run a pub in liverpool ...not too sure of dates..his name is THOMAS KENNEDY..i know my grandparents married in 1914 in Liverpool..address on marriage cert is MANSFIELD STREET , which i think is by Lime st station? they both are down for this address..so wondered if thats the pub? how can i look public houses up? or could someone do it for me please?
I would be very grateful of any advice or help!  Best wishes Lynn

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 pub landlord in liverpool..how can i find ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool city centre and Liverpool itself had lots of pubs in those days so without more information it would be an impossible task

When both bride and groom show the same address on the marriage cert - it was usually a "convenience" address (ie) one given to enable them to marry in a particular church

Have you looked for Thomas on the 1911 census to see whether he was running a pub at that time
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline J D------

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
When both bride and groom show the same address on the marriage cert - it was usually a "convenience" address (ie) one given to enable them to marry in a particular church

Marriages of connivance address are also done to save money by only having the banns read at one church. Normally the brides but some times the grooms.

J.D.

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
have found him in 1911 census..not running a pub though!  thanks for the help though!

Offline oldbones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 10 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool Record Office have Victuallers Licenses 347 JUS They are arrangeed by Address so you will have to search through them till you find the surname of your ancestor, they are available at

Liverpool Record Office and Local Studies, Unit 33 Wellington Employment Park South
Dunes Way, Liverpool L5 9ZS. 24 hours notice is required and you have give them the Ref number of the document you wish to look at you can search the online catalogue at

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for help and advice..i liove in cornwall, so can only go records office if i visit up north!
may get up this year?!!  but thanks again