Author Topic: Lakin family in or near Tamworth  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lakin family in or near Tamworth
« on: Monday 08 November 10 02:21 GMT (UK) »
I have long been searching for the ancestors of Elizabeth Lakin born c1765 in Warwickshire, who married William Brant in 1790 in Wilnecote. I have recently discovered her uncle Thomas Lakin's will (1795) which names her parents as Benjamin and Mary, and a sister Mary. Thomas also mentions other nephews and nieces and property in Tamworth. It is possible this family links to the ancestors of Sir Henry Lakin, via Thomas Lakin's sister Mary who may have married James Lakin in 1747 in Tamworth, then second husband Richard Cox in 1759.

Can anyone help? I cannot find a baptism for Elizabeth Lakin, daughter of Benjamin. I have found a family in the IGI records with baptisms in Cole Hill Presbyterian Church, that seem to fit well with this family.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline amd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lakin family in or near Tamworth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
I have noticed your message, logged more than 3 years ago, and presume you have since been able to track down your Lakin ancestors. Have you been able to prove that your ancestor Elizabeth Lakin was indeed a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Lakin of Tamworth? Online sources appear to indicate that Benjamin himself was baptised in the Cole Hill Presbyterian chapel, Tamworth, in 1735 Oct 19, the son of Thomas Lakin.

I have an ancestor Ann Lakin who was married in Nuneaton in 1796, and who may well be the daughter of Benjamin & Mary, baptised at the same Tamworth chapel in 1781. If that is so, and if indeed it was her aunt Mary who was married in 1747 to James Lakin of Hall End, Tamworth, then there is a remarkable link to my wife's ancestry: James's & Mary's son John Lakin was married at Shenston to Elizabeth Roby, the sister of John Roby of Alvecote Priory who is my wife's grandfather, three times removed.

I would be very interested to know if you have been able to trace Benjamin's ancestry. In any event, I would be grateful for particulars of his brother's, Thomas's, will of 1795 to enable me to obtain a copy: exact date of the will, date of probate (if known) and where proved (presumably in the Litchfield consistory court or a related peculiar).

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 May 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message. I have not made any progress since this post. I had previous correspondence with another member of this family who forwarded me the aforementioned will which names Elizabeth Brant wife of William Brant, and I had known her name to be Lakin. This is where I sourced the information that her parents were Benjamin and Mary. However I still have no baptism for Elizabeth. I have seen the names you mention in some of the records I had unearthed about this family. Although I am certain it is my ancestry I am still lacking that absolute proof of a baptism record. I do have more information on Benjamin's ancestry, though not in great detail.

You are correct in thinking that the will was proved at Litchfield. It is dated 19 July 1793.

If you would like to contact me further I am happy for you to do so. Perhaps we can arrange an exchange of information via personal message.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
I should add further that the will names his nephews and nieces as follows: John Lakin of Hall End, James Lakin of Whateley, Elizabeth Brant wife of William Brant and Mary Lakin spinster. Also several other relations. Elizabeth Brant and Mary Lakin are named as the children of his late brother Benjamin. His nephews John and James are the executors.

Offline drkeithburton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
My fifth great grandfather, James Lakin (1755-1822), had a sister named Elizabeth, who was christened at Cole Hill Presbyterian in Tamworth on November 7, 1749. The names I have for her parents are James (1723-1756) and Mary (1719-????).

Charles Lakin (1819-1859), my third great-grandfather, moved to Spanish Town, Jamaica in the 1830s where he had a relationship with my third great-grandmother, Charlotte Grose (daughter of Nicholas Grose from Bodmin, Cornwall). Charles was the son of William Lakin (1784-1856) and Susan Skoulding. They were married in London and resided in Walwyn's Castle, Pembrokshire, Wales, at the time of Charles' birth.