Author Topic: Door or Dore Family Plymouth earch C19th  (Read 3743 times)

Offline bathbun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Door or Dore Family Plymouth earch C19th
« on: Monday 08 November 10 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Researching my family in area of Plymouth, Devon and have reached a brick wall in the early 1800's; no census, birth certificate or death certificates for my GG Grandfather or his father or any other siblings so wondering if they were 'blow ins'.  Is anyone else looking for an Alexander Dore or Door, b 1833 and also approx 1810??  Both were called Alexander although the younger might have used his middle name John. 

I am considering looking into checking passenger ships as Plymouth was such a big part of the immigration/migrations of the 19C but unsure where to start.  Have looked on ancestry but cannot get far enough back.  :)
Surnames: Dore, Door, Hannaford from Plymouth area.
1/23rd Regt of Foot, The Citadel, Plymouth.
St Sever Cemetery, Rouen.
Borre British Cemetery, Hazebrouch, French/Belgium border.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Door or Dore Family Plymouth earch C19th
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 January 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the younger Alexander's marriage cert?  (To Mary Ann Rickards/Williams in 1864.)  If so, what is his father's occupation?

Alexander J gives his birthplace as East Stonehouse on the 1851 and 1871 censuses - have you been able to look at the parish registers?

His birth is too early for civil registration, but his death isn't showing up easily - presumably between 1871 (when he is a "patient" in hospital) and 1881, when Mary Ann is a widow.   ???
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bathbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
yes I do, Alexander Dore married Mary Ann Williams 21 Sept 1864 in Tavistock Registry Office.  Mary Ann was born in Lamerton and was the daughter of John and Sarah Williams.  Alexander Dore Snr was a masons labourer and John Williams a farm labourer.  Mary Ann and Alexander Jnr had three children together which show him as being a railway labourer when the youngest was born in 1869.  However, I have followed the Alexander J DOOR thread back a long way now and there are many things that make me think he is my man.  His absence in 1861 fits with him serving with the Royal Welch Fusiliers, 23rd Reg first in the Crimea then in India.  The spelling is not correct but this I understand is common.  Mary Ann was a widow in 1881 and I am aware of an Alexander J Dore being in hospital in Plymouth in 1871.  Still no birth cert or death cert but I am planning a trip to Kew soon to look for service records for the soldier in the hope of linking him to my family.  I have purchased parish records for Stonehouse from the Devon History Society and also asked their research Treehouse service for help, but have got no further.  Still think they were 'blow ins' but have reached a wall.  Thanks for your interest, any feedback or advice would be hugely appreciated!My father has always thought that his roots lay in France with the huguenots, which is where I will go next.   :)

Offline Mrs J E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have living relatives to your Alexander and although we have hite a bit of a brick wall too we are in Plymouth and could possibly help.

Many thanks

Jacqui
Researching Tavistock names :-  Hodge, Kinsman, Osborn, Jago, Cocks.  Milford Haven names:-  Owens, Rees.

Offline bathbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs JE - thanks for getting in touch and I am very intrigued to learn more about which line you are from!  I can only presume that Alexander's records were destroyed in the blitz as he was from Stonehouse where i think St Georges Church was/is??  Any info you might have from this area would be appreciated.  He was in hospital 1871 census in Plymouth would you know if there might be records surviving from here?  It was in the South Devon and East Cornwall Hospital as a patient aged 39.  I have searched the online databases for graves in the Stoke Damerel area but did not find anything.  Do you know what happened to the graves at St Georges if any remained?  Keep in touch!

Offline Mrs J E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia

I knew i would get an answer if i posted on more than one thread, we will get the tree up and running ASAP

Many thanks

Jacqui
Researching Tavistock names :-  Hodge, Kinsman, Osborn, Jago, Cocks.  Milford Haven names:-  Owens, Rees.

Offline bathbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D