Author Topic: Potter family  (Read 4038 times)

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Potter family
« on: Monday 08 November 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
can someone help me with some info About the potter family.
My g-grandad is Alfred john potter b 1892? Died 15th nov 1960 married a susan ann kezia curd b 1887? Died 1971 Both buried Queens rd croydon. He was born in brighton.. How would i find out info of hes family from this area. Hes son is George fredrick potter b 1916 in croydon. So lots of potters in croydon.. Want to know who hes siblings are? And any other family of hes from Brighton sussex..
:)

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Potter family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Alfred and Susan married in 1901 so Alfred can't have been born in 1892 as you said. I looked for him in the 1901 census and found this family for you

19 adelaide street croydon surrey

George Potter    head  m   50   flower ?      Brighton Sussex
Rosetta              wife    m   47     do            Whitey? surrey
Alfred                  son     s     21    do           Brighton sussex
Rose                   dau      s    18 laundress   mayfield sussex
Rosina                g.dau   7m                         croydon surrey
david carter    boarder 18 call boy music halls   croydon surrey

hope this helps
Regards

Barbarai
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks thats right they did move to croydon, When i looked at someones tree they think a john potter and susan tullet was Alfreds parents... I see they are not... Thankyou for info.

jew

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi barbarai

About Alfred potter who's parents are George potter and Rosetta would you be-able to find Alfreds mother surname?   Plus Rosina g-dau living in household was her surname norman?  And who are her parents?  And i can't make out why she living with grandparents and not her own parents.

jew

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Here they are in Portsmouth in 1881
 George POTTER Male      25      Brighton,  General Labourer      
 Rose POTTER      Wife      23      Brighton,            
 Alfred POTTER   Son        1      Brighton,      
Living 9 Tower St Portsmouth, Hampshire.
 PRO Reference  RG11 Piece / Folio 1150 / 12 Page 20

A quick search of a basic census index SUGGESTS George was in Hove in 1861, Kemp Town, Brighton in 1871, and Hammersmith, west London in 1891.  I do not have access to those censuses myself.

Furthermore, George married Rose Underwood in Brighton during the September quarter of 1879.  
GRO ref Marriages Brighton, Sept quarter 1879, 2b 366
The IGI states    ROSE UNDERWOOD    married George Potter on 25 AUG 1879 at the church of Saint Peter, Brighton, Sussex.   

Rosina (born Croydon in the Sept quarter of 1900) was probably the daughter of unmarried Alfred or his unmarried 18 year old sister Rose.  If that was the case, the grand daughter Rosina was with at least one of her parents. 
Apply for a copy of her birth cert to find out whose daughter she was.
GRO ref Croydon Births, Sept quarter 1900, 2a 305
Roy G

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi roy

Thankyou for message I heard Alfred had a daughter rose than i was told she was a niece?  And i know Alfred had 3 boys one was my grandad...  The thing is i don't have much info where all the potters are in Alfreds family like hes siblings etc.  Only hes children i know of as lots of potters in croydon..

jew

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Tricky problem finding Alfred's siblings because his father & mother moved about a lot. 
Suggest you look at the 1891 census when I believe they were in Hammersmith to see if he had any younger brothers & sisters (other than his sister Rose).  If the 1901 census is anything to go by, I feel it unlikely.

Rose/Rosina looks to have married in Croydon during the June quarter of 1901, but there are many Potters, I cannot be totally sure it was her. 

Note: I added a bit to my last message and it crossed with your reply. 
It suggests where George was on earlier censuses and that he may not have been born in Brighton at all, but in Shoreham or Hove.   See Births Steyning district June quarter 1856, GRO ref  2b 231

Once you have some firm dates and places, compare them with the names subscribers to Genes Reunited are interested in so you can see who else is interested in your family.  For example, there is one for George Potter born 1856 Hove and another for Alfred born Brighton 1879.

Roy G

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Roy  yes seems they have moved around abit so not easy work..

I have to get certs

Thankyou

jew

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 06:03 GMT (UK) »
I think Alfred's sister Rose Potter (born Mayfield c 1883) is on the 1911 Croydon census under the surname of King.  That would tie her in with a marriage to Joseph James King in Croydon in 1901.  I suspect the young Rosina was more likely to have been her daughter than Alfred's but could not positively trace her
Roy G