Author Topic: Help deciphering will-completed-  (Read 1381 times)

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering will-completed-
« on: Monday 08 November 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
could somebody help me to decipher this will please?

Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)

Offline Bill Ellson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering will
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 16:37 GMT (UK) »
This is the last Will and Testament of me John Sweet of 281 21st Row Sirhowy in the parish of Bedwelty in the County of Monmouth Pit Carpenter I appoint my son Francis Sweet to be sole executor of this my will I decree that all my debts funeral and testamentary expenses be paid as soon as conveniently may be after my decease. I give and bequeath to my daughter Eliza Meddlicot the family bible and ??? to my daughter Jane Thompson my feather bed to my son Richard Sweet my Barclays dictionary to my son Francis Sweet all my wearing apparel ?tools? I ??? ?Josephus? all the rest residue and remainder of my real ??? personal estate whatsoever not otherwise disposed of by this my ??? ??? and so bequeath to my seven children vis: Eliza Medlicott, Mary ?hew?, Hannah ?Fies?, Jane Thompson, Richard Sweet, Alice Sweet and Francis Sweet the to be equally divided among them share  and share alike I hereby revoke all former wills at any time made by me and declare this to be my last will and testament. As witness my hand this 9th day of April 1889 -------

JOHN SWEET - Signed by the said John Sweet the testator as and ?? his last will and testament in the presence of us being pres at the same time who at his request in his prescense and in the prescense of each other subscribe our names as witnesses the ???? on the twenty fourth his ??? ??? first having been made EDWARD TODD shoemaker Sirhowy ?.H.Spencer Tredegar

On the 8th June 1889 Probate of this will was granted to Francis Sweet the sole executor.

Barclays Dictionary could be Barclays Universal Dictionary compiled by James Barclay pub 1819

Bill
Deptford, Kent local history.
Railway Police
Surnames FORJETT, EASLEY, RICKUS, HYNARD, WORLEDGE

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that,
that gives me more of an idea of what it says.
I just got the will today in the post,i didnt realise it would be difficult to decipher,but with it being a photocopy of the original and the script its written in i suppose that makes it more difficult to read.

Anyway thanks again for your help.
Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Spotted a couple of things where the  will was most unclear:

...my real or personal estate...

...disposed of by this my Will and give and so bequeath....

...as witnesses the alteration on the twenty fourth line first having been made... (This is a court copy of the will, hence the line number is wrong and refers to an alteration in the original not reproduced in the copy)

Offline nannyoen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I think that this is in fact 2 Nd Row which would then be 2nd Row, Four Rows, Sirhowy however the house no is far more difficult to work out but could refer to 28 /