Author Topic: john couch b1880  (Read 2867 times)

Offline acstevens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john couch b1880
« on: Tuesday 09 November 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
First post so be gentle with me! 

I am searching for information on my Great Grandfather John Couch who was born in Plymouth, England around 1880 (although I have his marriage cert and this contradicts the census stating he was 23 on 17th Feb 1906) all I have is rather sketchy information as follows:

We have a bible given to him in Oct 1909 with a message of good luck on his leaving for America.  He was a miner in St.Austell, Cornwall at the time.

The family 'folklore' is that he ended up in Pennsylvania and was killed in a mining accident in the Pittsburgh area  (apparently part of the rescue team killed whilst trying to save others), although I can find no trace of him in any of the mining disasters websites.   He left his wife and 3 children at home, they never saw him again and no one has ever visited his grave .....

There is a potential match for a lodger in Jefferson, PA in the 1910 US Census.  Beyond that I am really struggling to find anything and dont really know where to go next..... Ive tried passenger records with no luck.

I would really value any suggestions on where I might find more info and records and where to direct my records next.

Many Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john couch b1880
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Just to clarify - did he say he was 23 in 1909 when he got married?  What do the 1891 and 1901 Census say about his age?

He married in 1909 - is that right - yet left 3 children behind when he left?  When was the youngest child born? - to try narrow down possible times of travel.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

What was his fathers name and occupation on the marriage cert.  If he was 23 at that time - it puts his birthyear at around 1885/86 rather than 1880 - unless he married before 1909

I'm a bit confused as you say the Bible was given to him in 1909 as a departure gift so if he had 3 children at the time he left England - he must have married before 1909

What was his wife's name and maiden name from the marriage cert and what date did he marry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline acstevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Good points! .... its my mistake (ill edit the original post also)

All the UK census info is consistant with a birth of 1880 (1881,1891,1901 all agree) but his marriage cert has him as 23 yo in 1906 (so a little less of a discrepancy) - 17 Feb - married Emma Sleeman aged 22.

Someone else has done alot of research on Couch line and he appears on their tree here ....

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=sjm2009&id=I38072

My grandfather, his son, was 3 when he left for the US, and she would have been pregnant with him when she got married. 

He left behind my grandfather, his older sister Nell who is understood to be illegitimate, and a younger sister Mary who would have been an infant, however the 1911 census seems to have missed them (well, I cant find them at least).

Son was William John Couch born 1 May 1906.

Sorry for the confusion!
ANdrew

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Although the age is off, there is a John Couch who was on the Empress of Ireland, left 8th October 1909 from Liverpool arrived 15 October 1909 into Quebec, he is on the first line here:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003560087.jpg

He is listed as "20", a miner, heading for Ishpeming, Michigan, and religion given as Wesleyan.

This man is probably the same as John Couch, died 26 Feb 1910 in Ishpeming, Michigan, a miner, details given as 23 years old and married, parents given as Richard Couch and Fannie Cock.  He died from a mining accident and the informant is John Sleeman of Ishpeming.  This may be John Sleeman b. circa 1882 England who appears on the 1910 census with wife Edith.

You can see the original image of the death certificate here: http://seekingmichigan.cdmhost.com/seeking_michigan/seek_advanced.php

My question then is - how sure are you that the b. 1880 Devon John Couch is the same as the man who married Emma Sleeman?
I think he may rather be the son of Richard Couch and Fanny Cock Mitchell who married in 1880, potential the same couple as Richard and Fanny who appear in the 1891 census with a son John aged 8.

I think between 1891 and 1901 Richard Couch died and Fanny remarried to a William Hambly.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acstevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  that is unbelievable .....

You are right, William Hambly was a witness at the wedding ... it all fits

I thank you very much for your time and efforts .... his occupation on his Wedding Certificate was Dockyard Labourer which matched the 1880 John Couch on the 1901 census, plus we knew he had brother Richard but I was barking up the wrong tree - the two are related but is a different John Couch  on the family tree I linked to above....

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=sjm2009&id=I55153

Thanks again ...
Andrew