Author Topic: Episcopal Church Records  (Read 1025 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Episcopal Church Records
« on: Wednesday 10 November 10 05:46 GMT (UK) »
 Having spent 5/6 frustrating years trying to find other descendants of my GG Grandparents Archibald Beattie + Margaret Lindsay and their daughter Margaret Beattie 1815 ( my G Grandmother ) - Finally a breakthrough !!

I have found many other members of this family about whom I knew nothing. Their names were not in the records on Scotland`s People. The reason :- they were baptised in the Episcopal ( Church of England ) Church prior to 1855.
  The church involved in my case was  ST ANDREWS BY THE GREEN , Glasgow. Another family member working from here in Australia was able to substantiate their existence because the family members he knew of came to Australia as " Bounty Immigrants " and a church record ( baptism / record from a Minister ) was pivotal to acceptance as an assisted immigrant.
   He discovered that these records were in the safe keeping of the Glasgow and West of Scotland  Society ( might not have that title exactly )and with the assistance of a very determined Scots lady in Glasgow - SHE WENT to ASK ABOUT THOSE RECORDS THREE TIMES AND WAS FINALLY GRANTED ACCESS , he was able to find some of the detail that had eluded us for so long.
  The records of which I speak were stored on the top floor of the building.
  I would hope they are now available or about to be so.
  If you are looking for Episcopal Church records pre 1855 - that could be a place to start.
                                                             Thommoje

Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Episcopal Church Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
This seems odd as:

A) I've accessed a computer index of the St. Andrews by the Green records in the Mitchell Library and
B) they have the same records available on microfilm

Have I missed some other records?

S_L

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »

Hi Still Looking,
                         It would be great if all birth/ baptismal records  that still exist were made available on Scotlands` People so they could be easily accessable to those of us who live on the other side of the world.
                         I wonder how many more such records exist. Popping in to the Mitchell Library to check is not an option , but I am pleased to hear that the records from St Andrews by the Green are now available there.
                                               Regards, Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Strange, because the original baptism records for the 1780s for this church are held at the Mitchell.  I have used them there. Might be more accurate to describe the Scottish Episcopal Church as part of the Anglican Communion rather than Church Of England
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)