Author Topic: Gow/ Smiths of Tomintoul  (Read 2206 times)

Offline northernscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gow/ Smiths of Tomintoul
« on: Wednesday 10 November 10 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great grandfather was Joseph Smith a stonemason in Tomintoul. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Smith/ Gow family and whether there is any connection to Niel Gow the fiddler?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gow/ Smiths of Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great grandfather was Joseph Smith a stonemason in Tomintoul. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Smith/Gow family and whether there is any connection to Niel Gow the fiddler?

Given that Smith is the commonest surname in Scotland, and that there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of Smith/Gow families, I think your chances of finding any connection are pretty small. Niel Gow lived over 100 miles from Tomintoul and died in 1807 at the ripe old age of 80. I have never seen any suggestion that any of his sons or grandsons moved to Tomintoul.

What were your Joseph Gow's dates? Where was he born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.