Author Topic: Medal Roll help please - 2nd Boer War  (Read 1944 times)

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Medal Roll help please - 2nd Boer War
« on: Thursday 11 November 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have just located an ancestor of mine in the medal rolls for the Second Boer War on ancestry, and being a complete military novice I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding it - I would be really grateful if somebody could explain it to me!

He is Pte H Bailey - regimental number 5024 of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

There are 3 documents on ancestry. One has 23rd M.I Coy in the top corner, another has 2nd Battalion Kings own R.L Regiment. Was one a group within the other? In the second document, he seems to have been crossed off the list -  there is a line through his name and details, and in the remarks column there is a word I can't read and a date 5/01 - is this the date when he arrived in South Africa? The third document just seems to be a copy of the first.

He was invalided on 7/11/02, would this have been the date he was injured, or the date he was sent home from duty?

Many thanks in advance,
millerina  :)

All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Roll help please - 2nd Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
hi,,what is his first name?  when and where was he born?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:33 GMT (UK) »
its ok,,i found him  ;)

harry bailey b 1877 st pancras,london
enlisted age 19
a greengrocer by trade
5 feet 7"
dark brown eyes and hair
 served in
Malta..Hong Kong...Singapore,,South Africa
awarded Queens South Africa medal with clasps for Cape colony,,Transvaal..Orange free state.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:40 GMT (UK) »
attested private 29th january 1896
served in South Africa from 16/5/01............7/11/02

married Harriet Bulley,,,a widow

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millerina

MI =  Mounted Infantry

Regular soldiers who could ride were formed into MI Companies. They operated independently from their parent regiments. It was actually 23rd Battalion MI, comprising four companies of about 130 men each. The Royal Lancs' Regiment supplied half of No.2 Company. They also supplied two whole companies to 3rd Battalion.

The lack of the award of the Kings South Africa medal shows less than 18 months war time service – the war ended in June 1902. He would also have received the 1901 and 1902 date clasps for his QSA.

He served in the latter stages when it was a guerrilla war, largely comprising 'drives' by mounted troops to force the Boers against a line of block houses manned by foot soldiers. The MI burnt the farms of Boers who were still fighting in a scorched earth policy.  The film Breaker Morant is worth watching.

You need to find the date of discharge. ‘Invalided’ may mean the reason he was transferred back to the UK, or the reason for his discharge.

Ken

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
he was discharged in 1912 section d

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your help! ;D

Ken - Many thanks for explaining about MI companies and their role in the war.  A lot of his family in London were Horse keepers so I guess he must have learnt to ride from a fairly young age. I shall definitely seek out that film which you recommend!  ;D

gortonboy - Wow, how and where did you find out that much about him that quickly?! :o You have found out more about him this afternoon than I have been able to in 7 years! That's amazing!  :o ;D

Many thanks again,
millerina  :)
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk