Author Topic: LOOK UP... CENSUS 1910 NY  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UP... CENSUS 1910 NY
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
With as much research that you've done, you most likely know about this site, but I'm adding in the small likelihood that you haven't seen it:
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Alf Reeves is mentioned in several articles.  If you haven't already done so, you might be able to find out more about the other actors and possibly the Cohens?  I did try searching for the address (44th Street) on this site, but didn't come up with any "good" results.  I didn't exhaust all variations, though.

I do have to leave now, but I look forward to seeing what you and others may have found in my absence.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 November 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I think I found found Sam & Kate - somehow, they weren't transcribed together.  I can't really see the street name, but on the bottom of the previous page, it looks like 44th Street, and the Cohens' address number looks like 321-3.

1910 Census, Manhattan Ward 22, New York, New York

Cohen, Sam, head, male, white, age 32, married once for 12 yrs., b. England, parents b. England, immigrated 1903, naturalized, occupation - stage hand, theatre, rents home

wife Kate, female, white, age 29, married once for 12 yrs., mother of one child - still living, b. England, parents b. England, immigrated 1903, occupation - actress, theatre

son David, male, white, age 11, single, b. England, parents b. England, immigrated 1903, attending school

There doesn't seem to be anyone else at that same address on that page or the one before it, but it says supplemental at the top of their page & it's possible that area could have also been covered by another census taker.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 November 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
There are some discrepancies from 1910, but Sam, Kate & David seem to be in Manhattan at a different address on 44th St. in the 1920 Census.  Kate is a performer at NY Hippodrome, Sam is some sort of carpenter, & David is a musician for musical tour.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Again, there are some discrepancies (in 1920, Sam was listed as born Poland & Kate was born England - in 1930, it's the reverse), but Sam & Kate appear to be in Brooklyn, New York in 1930.  Sam is listed as a stage hand, and Kate has no occupation.  Son David isn't with them.

Offline yonnieboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
it's been a couple o'days since being on line and then....wow! ...you guys have been so busy...you're like the 'super-sleuths!'  Pooh and Tigger   that my boy watches on TV!
All I can say is a big thank you from the bottom of my heart! :-*

Lisa that's a brilliant site you told me about  ;)...and thanx for looking at the shipping records,  I'll need to look at all those again and yes it was Amy Minister that married Alf...   

and Shelleyesq.... well...what can I say! that's outstanding stuff that you have found out! If we we're actors it'd be a case of 'mwah, mwah darling!' I love your work....

This has given me a good headstart and I am trully grateful to you! Now I am going to track down these Cohens and see where there from... and why they left England etc...

thanx guys!

Offline ellnic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 November 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I too have found it difficult to find articles on Alf and Amy Reeves, I must say I would love to see a copy of the marriage certificate. Since starting on my family tree, I have found Clara Amy Minister (Amy Reeves) was my 1st cousins 2 times removed. I have found a few bits and pieces over the last year or so that might be of interest to you.
I don't have a great deal to offer but I could probably give you the information on a few sites and articles I have found. Maybe we could compare notes, I am not sure if anything I have is of value to you but I would really like anything you have on Alf and Amy, of course Amy is my main area of interest.
I have found a couple of photos of Amy and also one of the cast going to the US on board the Cairnrona. I have quite a few of the passenger lists and other dates of interest.

I think I have Amy on the 1910 Census: Manhattan Ward 22, New York, Dist: 1347 Sheet: 9 it is very hard to find her though. She has been transcribed as Ammie Menister(which doesn't always show up in searches) Actress born England, none of the other cast members seem to be living there.
Amey - Cambridgeshire    Berry - Bermondsey     Burchell - London   (Camberwell Shoreditch Edmonton)    Earing - Surrey (Camberwell Newington)     Minister - Cambridgeshire Northampton Bethnal Green Edmonton    Nay - Surrey Shoreditch Stepney    Neeve - Cambridgeshire    Parkes - Stratford Essex  Pinnegar - London (Bethnal Green Marylebone)  Rosser - Surrey (Camberwell)  Taylor - London (Bow, Bethnal Green) Tilbury Essex  Tew - Northamptonshire (Sulgrave)

Offline ellnic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 November 10 03:19 GMT (UK) »
I have looked again at the 1910 census images for Amy, the previous page has the address as W 44th St, Amy is at 321 - 3 with a Kate Morderay? age 64 Theatre Cleaner.
I have found the Cohen's on page 41 of 42, which is sheet 21, as mentioned on one of the other posts, it is a supplementary sheet. Amy (Ammie Menister) is on image 18 sheet 9.

I haven't had any luck finding Alf Reeves on the 1910 Census but I do have Alf and Clara A on the 1920 and 1930 census.
Amey - Cambridgeshire    Berry - Bermondsey     Burchell - London   (Camberwell Shoreditch Edmonton)    Earing - Surrey (Camberwell Newington)     Minister - Cambridgeshire Northampton Bethnal Green Edmonton    Nay - Surrey Shoreditch Stepney    Neeve - Cambridgeshire    Parkes - Stratford Essex  Pinnegar - London (Bethnal Green Marylebone)  Rosser - Surrey (Camberwell)  Taylor - London (Bow, Bethnal Green) Tilbury Essex  Tew - Northamptonshire (Sulgrave)