Author Topic: James Ayres Morris  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
James Ayres Morris
« on: Friday 12 November 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a relative namely James Ayres Morris born 1879 in Wenvoe, near Cardiff, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK.  A letter amongst his army service records state he who was working in Buenos Ayres, Argentina for the Central Argentine Railway Company at Almafuerte from 17 April 1914 to 17 Sept 1915.  James A Morris travelled from Argentina on the ship DARRO arriving at the port of Liverpool on the 16 Oct 1915 where he attested to join the army on the 22 Oct.  At the end of WW1 James A Morris returned to Argentina on the ship SS Highland Piper sometime in July 1919.

I would appreciate any details of his travel to and from Argentina and any other details that will enhance his story of his stay and work in the country.  It is said within the family that he was killed in a gun fight?

Regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Ayres Morris
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 10 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't have it I found this mention of him in the Boer War:

Morris, James Ayres  25446 Trooper,  49th Company 9th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/impyeomanryl.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: James Ayres Morris
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes I knew he had served in South Africa via a comment on his WW1 army service record stating he served 1 yr and 172 days with the 9th Imp Yeo.  Sadly though no dates are mentioned

That said it is still nice to see his name listed on your site so thanks for the details, of which I truly appreciate. 
Many thanks
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk