Author Topic: Researching Records from India  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Barni

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching Records from India
« on: Friday 12 November 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am new to all of this and have just started researching my Paternal line all born in India.  I have built up quite a healthy looking tree!My problem is that I live in Spain and can only research on the web.  I am looking for web-sites other than, FIBIS, indiafamily.bl and familysearch.org.

Looking forward to any help possible!!!

Joanne
India: Mason/Powell/Belletty/Rodrigues

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Records from India
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

Welcome to RootsChat!

Do you have any more info regarding your paternal line? What his occupation was, where he lived etc?

If you look at the top of the page for "Other Countries", there's a resource section that may give you a few more options for searching.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Barni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow!  Didn't see that, hopefully I will get some help there.

From speaking to my dad most of the family worked for (probably the largest employer) East India Railway.

The family goes something like this Powell (m) married Mason (f) 1930 they each had lots of brothers and sisters (some I have found).  At the moment I am most interested in Violet Mary Mason b. 13/04/1910, in Agra, India.

Thank you
Joanne

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
There have been some fascinating programmes on TV about the Indian Railways over the past year or so. Did your Dad catch them?

I have fond memories of travelling from Bombay (as was) to Calcutta by train in the late 1950s - 2 days! For a 10 year old it was the most exciting thing in the world!

More recently,  travelling to Darjeeling on the DHR or "Toy Train" as it's affectionately called.(your dad will probably know about that one)

Get your dad to try the following for a spot of nostalgia -

http://railwaysofraj.blogspot.com/

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Barni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my dad watched the TV series about the Railway journeys, much of the time with a tear in his eye.  I will show him the web-site!  Thank you.

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barni
Have you tried the following:

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />