Author Topic: James FERGUSON born 22 Oct 1861  (Read 3947 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
James FERGUSON born 22 Oct 1861
« on: Monday 11 April 05 05:31 BST (UK) »
James was my great grandfather. His father was Samuel FERGUSON and his mother Agnes (nee BLACK, I'm told) I have reason to believe he was born in Co. Down but cannot be sure yet where. He had a brother John born around 1863 and a sister Annie born around 1870... All children were born in Ireland.

I leave open the possiblility that Annie's mother was different from that of James' and John. If so, her name was still Agnes and she was from Annahilt.

The family left Ireland, apparently for Scotland but ultimately settling in Workington, Cumberland Eng. When they arrived I'm not sure but they were there in 1881. I am not sure if Samuel died in Ireland before the family left, in Scotland or in England.

A birth certificate for James would help me discover a little more, no doubt. I believe that in Ireland they were part of the Church of Ireland later switching to Presbyterian.

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)