Author Topic: Williams family in India  (Read 2222 times)

Offline NIVAG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams family in India
« on: Sunday 14 November 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on the death of James & Hanna Williams prior to 1854 in India.  James with 55th Regiment of Foot.  Children, Ann Rebecca believed to have married James Crawford in Hong Kong in 1847 and eventually came to Australia c 1854.  Harriet Williams came to Australia c 1854.  James Henry Williams (nothing known what happened to him.  Samuel Josiah Williams came to Australia on the "Palmyra" in 1854.  I have researched him quiet extensively.

Regards
NIVAG

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Williams family in India
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any more info on James - ie date of birth etc? I did a quick search on FamilySearch pilot and came up with quite a few possibles. Without more detail it will be difficult to tie down one particular person.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline NIVAG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 November 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Unfortunately, I am not sure when or where James was born.  I believe he came from Lancashire in the north of England and enlisted in the 55th Regiment of Foot in 1826.  There seems to be 2 James Williams in the 55th Regiment of Foot.  One with the number 747 which changed to 771 and the other with the number 2338.  I have been unable to locate his actual military records.

The information I do have is as follows:

James Williams married Hannah Williams (believe that surname is a mistake) who was an Indian Native on 20 February 1833 in Bellary.  Their daughter, Anne Rebecca was born 7 September 1833,  James Henry born 11 Aug 1836 at Bellary, Harriet born 1 April 1838 at Secunderbad and Samuel Josiah Williams born 31 January 1841 at For William.  Both parents were deceased when Sam came to Australia in 1854.
Regards
NIVAG
T

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
James Williams married Hannah Williams (believe that surname is a mistake) who was an Indian Native on 20 February 1833 in Bellary.

It seems quite common that, when local girls converted, they took on an "anglicised" name, hence the Hannah part. Possibly she was already familiar with James and decided that Williams was as good a surname as any to adopt prior to their marriage. Without seeing the actual documents, which are likely to be at the church where she converted, I think that's as far as you are likely to get with Hannah's line.

Regarding James, how does this one stack up? 

Born 1810
Died  18 November 1851 at Fort William, Calcutta
Buried 18 November 1851 Fort William, Calcutta

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes