Author Topic: Heslin  (Read 5948 times)

Offline saskdan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heslin
« on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was named Margaret Heslin, (never met her) she came from CastlePollard West Meath.
All we know about her is that she either married my Grand Father (Timothy Danaher) or she didn't. She died in the 40's in New York. We are in contact with cousins who were also sired by G/F, they are lovely people , but know nothing about Margaret Heslin, as I am soon turning 77 I'd very much like to put to bed what might have happened before 1902 in Ireland (the year my father was born (Daniel Danaher). I have a copy of his Baptism cert which says his parents were married(?) but who knows what a preist will write on a cert. if the palms are greased enough.
(I'm a cynic). If anyone out there can help, it certainly will be appreciated.
Dan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Heslin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
see earlier post in Dublin on Margaret, Timothy and their son : I'm new

The baptism for Daniel is now included in the IrishGeneaology website - see : Baptism Daniel Danaher. A birth cert for him would be useful is tracking Timothy in the 1901 census as it would show his occupation. The best fit on the BMD Index that I see is this one under Donagher :

Name: Daniel Donagher
 Registration District: Dublin South
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1902
 volume : 2 / page : 716

There are a number of Margaret Heslin listed on the 1901 census, including just one born in Co. Westmeath - but a widow.. see : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a Marriage cert online for Margaret and Tim, they didn't get Civil Marriage registered in Ireland.

Unless someone else can find one.
Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Following on from Shane147's suggestion and looking at teh baptism

If you find Timothy's occupation/profession it will help place him, one option is this 29 year old:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003737748/

with an option for Margaret here as HESLEN aged 19
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003737740/

both are in service in Stillorgan which places them in the same area at the same time
he is at 21.1 and she is at 17 Stillorgan Park
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline saskdan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 November 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Following on from Shane147's suggestion and looking at teh baptism

If you find Timothy's occupation/profession it will help place him, one option is this 29 year old:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003737748/

with an option for Margaret here as HESLEN aged 19
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003737740/

both are in service in Stillorgan which places them in the same area at the same time
he is at 21.1 and she is at 17 Stillorgan Park

First off, I want to thank you and Shane for this information, it's so interesting to us (i.e.my brothers and sister)
You guys must have resourses that I can't imagine, please keep up the good work for me and others.
I'm still a bit of a rookie  on the internet, but trying hard to take it all in.
Dan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
good find myluck! ... certainly fits the clues, and almost next door neighbours, just a year before the birth of Daniel.

There's one other clue on the baptism record that might help make a connection - the sponsor/godparent - Elizabeth Heslin

There's only a small number of Elizabeth Heslins listed on the 1901 census, two of them, a mother and daughter, living with family in the townland of Carlanstown, Co.Westmeath.

Heslin family, Carlanstown  - 1901

I haven't found the exact location of the townland yet, but it seems to be in the registration district of Granard - the town for this is 19km north west of Castlepollard... so could fit with family story of Castlepollard.

Maybe the Elizabeth on the baptism record was Margaret's mother ? 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
found Carlanstown - it's located just over 6km north-west of Castlepollard - see google map : Castlepollard to Carlanstown

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 November 10 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I have PMed some comments to saskdan but the following might help others to find out more about Margaret

Daniel's birth certificate shows he was born in Holles Street hospital on April 19th 1902
to Timothy Donacher corrected to Danagher 23 Lower Mount Pleasant Avenue, Grocer;
and Margaret Donacher corrected to Danagher formerly ??Heskin?? corrected to Keskin as shown.
They are not at this address in the 1901 census
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder