Author Topic: Garrow's Law - Genealogy  (Read 13700 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Garrow's Law - Genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any reason to think Sarah Dore was anything other than an "ordinary" girl from Darenth. In the C18th it wasn't unusual for rich men to live quite openly with their mistresses. Arthur Hill obviously accepted paternity as William  was given the surname Dorehill. I don't know who the other illegitimate children were who he acknowledged in his will, or who there mothers were, but I don't read anything more into the acknowledgement of the illegitimate children and their financial support than that he was "doing the right thing by them"

The real Arthur Hill sounds a very decent kind of man (according to the morals of the day) and his reputation is taking quite a battering by the TV series.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a further look at some of the Dorehills. The 1861 census has William John Dorehill an Army captain born Lambeth living with his wife Margaret who was born in Ireland c. 1826 as was one of their son George Dalton Dorehill born c. 1851.

The new LDS Beta Search has  a baptism of blank (male) Dorehill 18 July 1865 Clonmel Tipperary s/o William John Dorehill and Margaret Mitchell. I wonder if this story that Sarah was Irish has somehow got muddled up with this Irish connection?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 December 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would have thought the belief in the Irish connection comes from Arthur Hill's Irish connections established in his family from the C17th onwards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Downshire

Will of Arthur Marquis of Downshire and Earl of Hillsborough of Down, County Down 07 October 1801 PROB 11/1363

Sarah Dore was certainly literate as her signature shows on her marriage to William Garrow

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReBoot60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 December 10 02:23 GMT (UK) »
This BBC blog contains a couple of rsponses from Dorehill descendants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/11/garrows-law.shtml

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 December 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
i have been very interested / intrigued with this and have been looking into William Garrows life just recently myself
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive