Author Topic: George LEGG[E]born 1803 Hannington.  (Read 3260 times)

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George LEGG[E]born 1803 Hannington.
« on: Monday 15 November 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am absolutely stuck with his father!!  George is my 2x Gt Gramp,he married Jane BURCHALL on 4 Aug 1850 at Highworth.
 1851 Census states bn Hannington age 48 and Jane 30 bn Highworth,they were living at Hampton, Highworth, where my Gt Gran Martha LEGG was bn on 27 October 1855[cert]  I have the marriage certificate as well,George signed LEGGE and Jane her cross .
Jane,s family are well documented, father Thomas BURCHALL [labourer] was from Abingdon originally and came to Highworth, 8 girls ,2 boys. The wife of Thomas was a Shrivenham girl.
George testified that his father was Matthew LEGGE and a cross appears against the witnesses  Charlotte WILLOUGHBY and Matthew LEGGE names, this Matthew could be his brother or father??
 Is anyone else familiar with this family of Legg[e]because when Martha married John Robert GILES 1847-1915 at Stanton Fitzwarren in December 1881 she was living at Blunsdon, witnesses at the marriage Andrew Richard LEGG and Ann Elizabeth LEGG the children of William and Mary LEGG shoemaker and I wonder if there may be a link between the two families which I am unable to find.
Any suggestions, Allen.
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline west

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George LEGG[E]born 1803 Hannington.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Hannington baptism's there is only one George Legge baptized 30/1/1803 in Hannington, son of John and Martha.

There is a Matthew Bridges Legge but he was baptised 9/2/1825 son of William and Elizabeth.

Hope this may be of some help.

Regards.

West.
Wilts; Willis/Paintin;
Gloucs; Willis.Westbury on Seven.Hathaway Churcham.Sterry Westbury.
Glam; Hopkin.Daniel.Gethin.Brooks
Devon; Jackson.