Author Topic: KNIGHT family of Clones, late 19thC, early 20thC  (Read 24495 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: KNIGHT family of Clones - Michael Elliott KNIGHT b. late 19thC
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 October 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, Lynchris.
As you say, a crystal-clear history...!
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
KNIGHT family of Clones, late 19thC, early 20thC
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 December 07 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Have finally caught up with the cousin I mentioned in the thread I started on here exactly a year ago, and together we have made very good progress with previous generations of the KNIGHT family in Clones.
The family definitely stayed in the town, but we have been unable to find a record of a marriage between Michael Elliott KNIGHT and a female member of the YOUNG family sometime just before 1900 or so, or perhaps even a little later.  There were possible four children named Michael, James, Alexander and George...
If anyone knows where this information might be lodged, I would be most grateful,
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 December 07 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Just a postscript on here to say that yesterday I got together with my (aforementioned!) cousin and when we went on the internet we managed to contact a lady living in the U.S.A who had six photographs of my cousin's KNIGHT family, which she immediately sent images of...She's also going to send the originals to my cousin, only wanting her expenses re postage and packing to be met.  She says she simply loves to reunite primary sources such as photos with living members of the family concerned.
One of the sepia snaps is of my cousin's grandfather, aged about 3 in the same pose as her gt-grandmother (the little boy's mother).  The photo was taken in the early 1880's in Clones, at J. Galway photographers.
It's all SO exciting and generous of someone we've never met, living across the Atlantic, hoping that one day these photos would find their way home as it were.
And thank you so much all those people who have kept me going on this thread over the past year...

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 December 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic news, Keith, thanks for updating us all. I love it when things like this happen. I was fortunate to have contact with someone recently who sent us a wonderful picture of the sister of my husband's great great grandad. Such things are to be treasured. I always feel sad when watching programmes on TV where people are selling off family heirlooms/pictures because they have no interest in them. Future generations may have liked to have had the chance to see these things.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 January 08 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Just an update to say that my cousin in (poor flooded) Gloucester received those precious family photos at the end of last week.  She is overjoyed...
Many thanks for all the help,
keith

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 January 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Good news about the photos - not so good about the flooding.

Maybe when you get a chance, you could share a photo with us on this thread.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Another update!
Have just received a PM from someone directly descended from Michael Elliott KNIGHT, very excited and interested in sharing family details.  Must phone my lucky cousin again this evening...
keith

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a good run with some of my lines at the moment too.

Hope it goes well.

Offline paddy123456

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 March 08 15:13 GMT (UK) »
hello again... my father has now dug out three photos which i will try and scan and send onto you..paddy.