Author Topic: Francis Traynor  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Leigh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Francis Traynor
« on: Saturday 13 January 07 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Am searching for details of Francis Traynor b 1832.  The first I have of him is in the 1881 Census when he was a flax/hemp dresser in Hull.  He married a Yorkshire lass in 1866 but I don't know where exactly in Co. Monaghan he was born or when he went to England.  Any info or pointers would be much appreciated.
Leigh
 :)
Crumbie (Crumby/Crombie/Cromie) - Wilts, London, Northumberland, Fife
Stark & Cammann - Middxnt
Davenport, Bromley - Wilts, Glous
Traynor - Ireland, Hull, Kent
Taylor - Kent
Blaskiewicz / Blaszkiewicz - Radom, Poland
Drews - Gdansk (Danzig), Poland

Offline Leigh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Flax/hemp dresser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
Would a flax dresser have been a common occupation in Co Monaghan around 1850?  I have Francis Traynor, Flax dresser, marrying in Hull in 1866 age 30 but coming from Co Monaghan.  Don't know when he left Ireland - is it likely this would have been his occupation before he left (assuming he left as an adult) or something he is more likely to have started in England?  His father (Bernard) is shown as "farmer (deceased)" on his marriage certificate.  Am having trouble tracing Francis or Bernard in Ireland.  I note from the marriage certificate that Francis could not write so guess Traynor could have been the registrar's phonetic interpretation of any number of variants.  (He was Catholic by the way).
Any pointers much appreciated.
Leigh
Taylor - Kent

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Flax/hemp dresser
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
Some reading for you at this site and also this one, so yes, in all probability, this could have been your ancestors occupation whilst in Ireland.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Leigh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Flax/hemp dresser
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 07 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you scotmum - very interesting.
Leigh
Taylor - Kent

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Traynor
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 01:45 GMT (UK) »
just as a matter of interest there are TRAINORS living in Prince Edward Island, Canada around Kellys Cross in the earlier days and then  Hope River/Hunters River near Summerside. I believe they came about the same time as my DOYLE/M'GINITY/DOWDS  ca 1840 Maritimes  Canada.

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/ is a user friendly 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census and you can post a query on www.islandregister.com. I realize you said UK but you never know.

Offline Leigh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 21:51 GMT (UK) »
So sorry not to have replied to you sooner - very remiss of me. 

I am having a real struggle with the Traynors in Ireland - too common a name & too many spelling variations!  I still am not 100% sure where abouts in Ireland I should be concentrating my research.  To be honest Traynor was supposed to be some light relief when I came to a dead end with my main research - Crumbie/Crombie.

I am not aware of any family tales of emigrants to Canada or the USA but of course it is not impossible.  I will keep you "on file" & will be sure to contact you if I find anything that may be of mutual interest.

Best wishes for happy hunting in 2008!

Regards
Leigh
Taylor - Kent

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Leigh,

You mention Crumbie/Crombie connection with Traynor. I know of a Crumbie/Crombie family intermarried with a Trenor family who came to the North East of England from South Armagh during the Famine. Trenor is a variant form of Trainor whilst the Crumbie/Crombie's took many more forms including Crummy and Crummey.

Good luck,
J.T.A.