Author Topic: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe  (Read 10986 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe
« on: Monday 15 November 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

My great-great grandfather was born in 1822 in Montreal, Canada to Daniel McAuliffe and Mary O'Donoghue.   Do you know how I could find a record of his and any sibling's birth?  I don't know where he lived, only that he later served in the British Army.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptism .... it is in French so I have translated the basic details.

If your local library subscribes to Ancestrry Library Edition you s/b able to find the original image yourself.

John McAuliff
Born 20 Jun 1821
Baptized 24 Jun 1821
Of the legitmate marriage of Daniel McAuliff  soldier of the 37th Reg't garrisoned in this city and Marie Ann Danhue (sic?).
Godfather Patrick Mooney; Godmother Nory Freeman ... both signed the register themselves; the father declared he was unable to write.

At Notre Dame Basilica, Quebec (I believe this would be Quebec City in Quebec Province .... Montreal has its own Notre Dame Basilica so if the baptism occurred in Montreal it should say Montreal).

Hope he is yours.

Polarbear

Added:
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]This child must have died... I have found another baptism of a John with the same parents in 1824. I'll translate it later.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 02:05 GMT (UK) »
hi,,there is a service record for a daniel mcauliffe ,,he served in the 37th foot,,and served in canada in the correct time period for johns birth.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 02:59 GMT (UK) »
John #2

John McCawliff
Born 29 Apr 1824
Baptized 02 May 1824
Of the legitimate (legal) marriage of Daniel McCawliff soldier of the 37th Reg't and of Mary Donohoo of this city.
Godfather William Caughlain; Godmother Marguerite Sweeney. Father and Godmother both declared they could not write so only the Godfather signed the register with the Priest.

At Notre Dame Basilica, Quebec (same comments re: church above apply here).

I haven't yet found a burial for John #1.

Do you have any names of siblings born in Canada from later UK censuses?

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 03:56 GMT (UK) »
there is also a 4 page service for a john mcauliffe b c1822,,again the 37th foot,,,,born Quebec canada,,,attested in Plymouth,Devon.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your help! 

Polarbear, je me débrouille assez bien en français so I would love to see any records in the original French too!  If these records are on Ancestry.com, I should be able to see them in the LDS library or in the main library in New York City.

I suspect that my John is the first one, because I have a record of his discharge from the British Army (37th Regiment of Foot).  According to John's marriage certificate, both parents are listed as being from Killarney, Co. Kerry.

According to John's discharge papers (a copy of which I got from a family member, so I know it's him), he was born in the Parish of Quebec when it was then Lower Canada.  He entered the 37th Regiment, as number 1137, on 19 June 1836 in Plymouth at the age of 14 1/12 years (I assume that means 14 years and 1 month), which would place his birth at around April-May 1822.

I know that he later returned to Ireland where he married my great-great-grandmother in Booterstown, Dublin in October 1862; he died in Co. Wicklow in 1906.

I would love to see the 4 page service record on Ancestry or any sibling records on U.K. or Canadian Censuses.  How can I do this?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
both records are to be found on the findmypast website  ;) looks like you have already got johns.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you should be able to see the original images of both baptisms. I wouldn't discount the second baptism entirely. It is possibly another child of this couple and with the father being illiterate he likely wouldn't have noticed that the name was written down wrong. Or your John could have lied about his age somewhere along the line.

I think it would be worth your while to trawl through the parish records of this church to check for a burial for the earlier John in any case. It takes a bit to figure out how to do it but not too difficult after that. You may turn up other baptisms as well. There are numerous spellings for this name in the records. And the priest would spell it as he chose and Daniel being illiterate wouldn't likely know what was written.

The earliest Canadian census available is 1852 and he surely must have left Canada by then? And it doesn't appear that Canada counted UK soldiers in that census. I was thinking of the British 1841 or 1851 censuses if they went back there. Of course, the 1841 census isn't generally much help with POB. You would need to follow the father's movements from his records to see where he was when. Ancestry has UK censuses from 1841.

The parish records are in the Drouin Collection on Ancestry. I forgot to note that in my posts.