Author Topic: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe  (Read 10985 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Seriously?  He joined the Regiment at age 11?   I'm assuming Daniel was in Canada in 1822, unless he was on tour of duty at the time of John's birth.  I don't know exactly how those things worked...

Do you know if there's a way to find out which years John spent in Ceylon and in America?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Not that i know of  :'(
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry--I'm already doing pretty well :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
This link has another option for you to explore to try and get Daniel's records through your LDS Library. Scroll down to the 37th Reg't. There is a link to 'Soldier's Documents' which are films I assume you should be able to order in  :). There is also a link at the bottom of the 37th section to some very interesting info; the 37th is mentioned at the bottom of this as well.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/regiments-infantry.html

Oddly, the record states the 37th was in Montreal 1819-1824 which covers the time of your John(s) birth(s).
I will re-check how both Basilcas are listed just to be sure and let you know later.

Added: this film might help with John as well.

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Polarbear--those two things are very helpful.  Now I have an idea of where the 37th Regiment went and also a way of getting a copy of the record through the LDS Center in New York!  Thank you very much!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Found this most interesting burial record for you to also look for in the Quebec City Notre-Dame records! Also in French.

John McCauliff (as indexed but the image looks like McCawliff to me)
Buried 07 Jan 1823 at St Anne Cemetery, having died the previous day, age 18 months.
Legitimate son of Daniel McCawliff soldier in the 37th Reg't and Mary Donahoo.

BUT ........

There are lines drawn through the record and the priest has written Acte Nul prior to signing the register. No one else (who would be witnesses) has signed.

I have no idea what this could mean other than he personally did not bury the child. The record does, however, go with the 1924 baptism of John #2.

Also, in the 1961 UK Census there is a John McAuliff, 36 (so b. about 1825), b. Quebec, an Army Sgt living at Colchester Barracks .... is he yours?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Continuing.......

Found another record on the next page of the parish register with everything in order and the burial duly witnessed. Burial date now the 8th Jan and death occurring avant hier. Everything else looks the same.

What an interesting hunt this is!

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
It's turning out to be very interesting.  Thanks for your help with all of this.  I don't know why the entry would be voided like that but it was.  The other thing that occurs to me is that it's possible that my great-great-grandfather fudged (or was encouraged to fudge) his birth year so he could enter the 37th Regiment early. 

I feel pretty confident about John no. 2 though, especially since the parents have the same name and the father is also in the 37th Regiment.  I mean, what are the chances? 

I do believe that the John listed at the Colchester Barracks is mine because I know that he was a Chelsea pensioner.  It wasn't until the next year that he returned to Ireland--Dublin this time--and married my great-great-grandmother.

So I guess on a trouvé l'acte de John le Premier!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I know from my own family experience that ages were fudged to join up.

With the burial of John #1 I think John #2 being yours is a sound conclusion.

I believe I have written the names as indexed on Ancestry so you should be able to find all 4 of the images without too much trouble. If you can't find them please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do what I can to help you locate them.