Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29838 times)

Offline TimFitzpatrick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 January 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading this thread with interest.  My grandmother Louise Traynor was born in Stirling in 1901 and lived at 48 Broad Street, Stirling, at the time of her emigration to the United States in 1904.  Her father was Arthur Traynor and her mother was Mary Ellen McTernan.  I am planning to visit Stirling in the autumn of 2019 and had hoped to see the residence but it seems that is not meant to be! Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing at least some of what her young eyes would have seen at the time.

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Have also been reading this thread with interest, particularly as a couple of the people posting had relatives at 14 Baker Street.  One of my ancestors John McKenna - a coal miner - and his wife Mary and children lived at 14 Baker Street for a bit in the early 1900s. I was keen to look this up as Mary died in 1906 from internal injuries from a fall. 14 Baker St was her address on the entry in the death register. Since I know Stirling well, and know Baker Street a wee bit, I couldn't work out how she could have fallen - out of a window? down the stairs? I looked up Google maps street view but no 14 just looks like a wee hoose.
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 February 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
No 14 Baker St was presumably a tenement at that time. 1906 Cook & Wylie directory shows 12 tenants (many of whom would have families) at that address. John McKenna, miner, is listed at 2 St Mary's Wynd in that directory. Families seem to have moved around the locality quite a lot at that period. My gt grandfather lived in Baker St (twice), Cowane St, St Mary's Wynd, Bow St and Lower Craigs at various times during his life.

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, SandyMcJ.  I was interested that the families I'm looking at moved around so much.  I had assumed they moved around the miner's accommodation but I know nothing about it.  Mary death was in December '06, so perhaps they moved to Baker Street late in the year and after the directory was printed.  Who knows.  Anyway, it gives me another address to attach to their history  :D

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 25 February 19 18:17 GMT (UK) »
AuntieMomo, the lower half of Baker has hardly changed since about 1900, and 14 Baker street is the auld Derby Bar Close. Your presuming that your relative may have fell from a window overlooking Baker Street, but the tenements were through the close. In all likelihood that is where she lived and it is possible she fell from there. At that side of Baker street was where most of the tenements flats were, if you get a chance, go through 24 Baker Street close and you will see what I mean, also the Star Bar Close was the same with tenements. Better still, the last time I was back in Stirling, I took the chance to go up these closes, also I went up to the car park at Dalgliesh court and looked at the backs of the buildings and you get an idea of what it was like in 1900.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 25 February 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stirling76, I will do.  I don't know anything about the tenement accommodation in Stirling. Since a lot of the buildings I've been trying to find in my research have been knocked down, it would be good to actually go somewhere that still exists. I assumed that my relative fell at home because she would probably have been looking after children but who knows really.  I can't find a report of it in the newspapers so that's just my assumption as it wasn't on the entry of her death.

Offline ScottClark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 13 June 22 00:54 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread, but have a little more information that I recently learned.
The father-in-law of my cousin, John Drummond, was the Barman of Derby Arms at 14 Baker St. from about 1910 - 1944. It is listed as their residence in a 1912 marriage registration and a 1943 newspaper clipping. His father James Drummond is listed in 1891 census at 16 Baker St; occ: Spirit Merchant.

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, just red through these threads with interest, as I have a connection with Baker Street - my Paternal Grandmother, Euphemia Glen was born July 1897 at no 48 Baker Street, to John Glen a journeyman tailor (thanks Forfarian for the description of a journeyman, I did wonder what it meant- but am lost to know how long he stayed there, as cannot find him or family on 1901 census., and he moved to Camelon, Falkirk where his last child Isabella was born 1904
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
Geordimac, you are going to have to look at the original entry for 1901 on Scotlands People I think  ::) Transcript is confusing:

John Sharp 76
Margaret Sharp 76
John Sharp 38 son
Janel Sharp daug
John Drummond 18 grandson
Annie Drummond 12 daughter
John Drummond 10 son
Euphemea Drummond 3 daughter
Henry Glen 4 Months Son b. Stirling...went off to the US in 1930.
Margaret Stewart 3 months granddaughter

Address: 48 Baker Street, Stirling

Annie Jnr, John Jnr, Euphemia and Henry were children of John Glen and Annie Stewart weren't they?

Is there a connection between the name Drummond (mentioned by ScottClark) and the Glens I wonder?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk