Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29822 times)

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #54 on: Friday 08 July 22 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica, thanks for this, I have tried several times to find my paternal Grandmother Euphemia Meldrum Glen and her family on 1901 census without success.
I entered Henry Glen today, result for 48 Baker St only gave me Henry and then Margaret Stewart, a grand daughter - who's?. But I have the Birth cert copies for Euphemia and Henry giving birth place as 48 Baker Street, Stirling. What the Drummond connection is I do not know as I can't get a full read of who as living at 48 Baker street 1901, totally puzzled just to find Henry and Margaret.

I have family moving to Camelon, nr Falkirk after 1901, as last child of 7, Isabella, was born there 1904 and Gt Grandfather John died 1911 in Camelon. Also found, which you state, Henry sailing to USA 1930, occupation stating as a moulder.

Have to keep digging, this is now bugging me

Bill
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:59 BST (UK) »
48 Baker Street in 1901 looks to have numerous households. I counted at least six head of households with various members in their household in the transcript for that year.

You might want to view the original image on this one to try to sort out what it actually shows for the address.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 09 July 22 21:46 BST (UK) »
Monica,
It's just confusing that census, Henry's parents nor siblings are there, what relation etc to the names Sharp/Drummond is I have yet to find - certainly he is with his family on the 1911 census living in Falkirk area, and next details are sailing out to the USA and his arrival at Ellis Island. Interesting to note his final destination is Akron Ohio, ad the person in the US is Margaret Anderson, and in the Old country is his sister Isabella Glen, now Mrs Risk, as both parents are dead.

Used a lot of credits to look at the 1901 census to find the Glen family, hit dead ends so am surmising was the Journeyman tailor off somewhere with wife and some children, not registering census, but why leave a baby son with A N Other family. so puzzling
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 19:45 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Am sure I've sent a reply to you regarding details of Henry Glen, but seems to have vanished.

Again, many thanks for your brilliant help in leading me in right direction of Henry, and subsequent life, back in Scotland.

All I have to do is really go through lots of records on SP and try and establish where John Glen and family were on the night of the 1901 census, certainly not in Baker Street.

Best wishes

Bill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
Bill, am I right in saying that John Glen and his wife Annie Stewart had the following children:

Jane b. 1883
David b. 1885
Robert b. 1887
Annie b. 1888
John b. 1891
Euphemia b. 1897
Henry b. 1900
Isabella b. 1904

I just find it odd that the 1901 listing we have at 48 Baker Street includes the following children (leaving out the surname of Drummond):

Annie 12
John 10
Euphemea 3
Henry 4 Months

Perfect match for the children of John Glen and Annie Stewart  :-\

Have you viewed the original? Some of the answers (errors?) may show on the original image.

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 07:48 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, the FindMyPast transcription of the 1901 census gives Henry's surname as Glen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 18:35 BST (UK) »

I just find it odd that the 1901 listing we have at 48 Baker Street includes the following children (leaving out the surname of Drummond):

I know I said let's leave out the surname Drummond for a look at first names, however, Euphemia's birth registration in 1897 was with a middle name...of Drummond  ::)

EUPHEMIA MELDRUM GLEN
490/ 277
Stirling

Euphemia Meldrum was John Glen's paternal grandmother?

Monica

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Euphemia Meldrum Glen is my Paternal Grandmother, who died in 1925 after giving birth to twins, my father and his sister Euphemia/Effie to us. Correct in the names of the children - Jane took Aunt Effie to raise and Annie took my Father to raise. Euphemia Meldrum is then my 3rd Great Grandmother. - My Grandmother Euphemia's birth certificate only give her middle name as Meldrum, no Drummond mentioned, but then........
You did kindly gave me directions to the 1901 census and noticed the names with the Drummond surname so assumed they are not my relatives but now you mention leaving out the surname, names/dates do match - Oh dear, was something underhand going on with John Glen?? Lol  - Looked at my tree again closely but Drummond does not appear anywhere, and wasn't there a Margaret Stewart, listed as Granddaughter shown?. There's a mystery that's not showing up very well, back to the census original again - where's Miss Marple when you need her, Lol Bill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 20:52 BST (UK) »

...birth certificate only give her middle name as Meldrum, no Drummond mentioned, but then........

Bill, sorry...that was a brain drain  ;D

Monica