Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29846 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 21:21 BST (UK) »
Making some headway on the 1901 entry.

Margaret Stewart, 3 months, granddaughter b. Stirling in 1901

She was the illegitimate daughter of John and Annie's eldest, Janie/Jane/Jean

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
The 1901 transcript (sigh, no surprise really) is incorrect on a number of levels. I will clip a part of the image first below:

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 21:33 BST (UK) »
The entry above for 44 Baker Street is two separate households. Can you see the line running under John Drummond, 18 yr old grandson. This indicates the end of that household.

I think the section below has become scrunched up missing off a couple of line. I think parents and Jane and or son Robert should be listed there. I think I can see the bottom writing for Robert under John Drummond.

If you look at Annie, John and Euphemia, they have 'Do' (ditto/the same as above)) written for their surname. Because there are lines missing (with Glen), the transcript is picking up Drummond from the John Drummond in the household above.

If you count the number of females and males on the page, there are some missing (the totals for the columns show at the bottom of the page).

Henry Glen and baby Margaret and over the page. Margaret quite rightly shows as granddaughter...to John Glen and Annie Stewart!

A bit of a mess but I do think the whole family are living there  ;)

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
This illustrates perfectly that whilst transcripts are so very useful, the original images are always best! Particularly when the entry has problems with the info.

Monica

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
Blimey!!
Illegitimate daughter to Jane!!   who would have believed it

Now you have got such a clear picture, I'd read it as is!!!  which explains such a lot, and of course there is never a good clear copy to look at, I am truly indebted to you. Solves a big puzzle for me, confess am not one for delving so deeply into what I see, and tend to think that SP will have the correct information against ay other. Is it possible for me to get SP to  give a much more accurate copy, I have queried with them a few times on transcripts which were pretty awful but always told it is what it is so sorry, and have never bothered since
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 22:13 BST (UK) »
Not sure that SP will arrange to rescan this page, but worth asking them I would say. They are normally pretty good at responding to problems with legibility (expect during Covid when they couldn't arrange for anything to be rescanned).

Sometimes though, writing is so poor or faded that sharper images don't always help!

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
One more thing I can see as additional confirmation that there lines missing is that if you look at the top of the 2nd page with babies Henry and Margaret, they show as living at 48 Baker Street. On the previous page, the Sharp family with grandson John Drummond are at 44 Baker Street.

Unless the babies are living alone  ::), we are missing the start of the listing of 48 Baker Street which we now believe will be John and Annie Glen. 48 Baker Street, going by page 2, was multi occupancy with a number of different households. The Glens are the first listed there from what we now have.

Monica

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 14 July 22 20:45 BST (UK) »

Which is what I saw, and that's when I got puzzled, but you have given me a clearer picture - pardon any pun -
So back to SP and give them this info and ask if they can look and give me a better copy.

Once again I am indebted to your good work and help

Bill
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 14 July 22 21:23 BST (UK) »
ps, went back to SP and tried again to get correct details, got nothing this time!!!  so have emailed lengthy details to SP and hope I get a reasonable response - with 3-5 days automated response
Wait and see it will be, anyway laptop gong in for an upgrade so will be few days anyway till I get to look at answer