Author Topic: Kirtland family in Bletchingdon  (Read 8816 times)

Offline rachell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirtland family in Bletchingdon
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 May 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
I think your correspondents are right about John K and Martha Honor who married in Charleton on 22 Feb 1773.

The marriage record says John was from Marsh Gibbon in Bucks but that is probably because his parents moved there when he was young.  His parents were Paul K and Jane Tarver who married in Hampton Poyle on 22 Feb 1747.  They must have moved back to Islip because their first four children were born there, starting with John in 1748.  Their last two children were born in Marsh Gibbon in 1762 and 1765 so John would have been living there during his teens.

There was at least one other possible John Kirtland but there are other reasons for believing this to be the one.

R

Offline rachell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 May 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
Paul Kirtland was the last (probably the fourth) son of John and Mary, baptised in Islip on 8 Dec 1728.  The only marriage I've been able to find was to Mary Smith on 29 Oct 1710 in Oddington.  However, I'm pretty certain they had a son Richard in 1706 and almost certainly an earlier one, John, in 1704.  If they were "base" children you would expect it to have been noted in the register, so I'm not at all sure about the 1710 marriage.  Paul's father, John, was baptised on 13 Jul 1675 in Islip and was the son of John jnr and the grandson of John snr.

R

Paul baptised 17 Mar 1716.  Sorry, slipped a line

Offline rachell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 May 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
The Kirtland family was well established in Islip during the 17th century though they were mostly recorded as Curtland.  Fortunately the rector distinguished between snr and jnr which avoids some of the confusion.  John 1675 was the son of John jnr and Mary Halle who married in Islip on 26 Jul 1663.  They had five children but John jnr married 3 times and had two more daughters before dying in 1713, aged 79.  John jnr, baptised in Islip on 17 Aug 1634, was the son of John snr who had married Elenor Loosley in Islip on 8 Jan 1628. 

I believe that John snr was the son of William the vintner and his wife Ann but there are no records before 1614 when William and Ann had a son Thomas who died just a few months old.  I suspect that William and Ann had come from elsewhere with a family including John and possibly Nathaniel and Robert.  But I'm still searching. 

Anyone out there with a missing William Curtland born around 1575 who married Ann around 1600?

R

Offline rachell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 May 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Ooops

Paul was baptised 17 Mar 1716.  (Not sure if they had switched calendar which would make it 1717 by modern dating)

Read the wrong line!

R

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rachell,

This is all very good information, I'm pretty confident about adding the earlier generations to my tree.

Thanks for your help  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Online Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Ancestryseem to have linked wittthe Oxford archive and it is possible to view original material
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Online Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 April 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
Is this the same John Kirtland who was a farmer?

It has become apparent to me that there was some considerable rebellion to the enclosure of land around Charlton on Ottmoor. I wondered if the Kirtland family would have been involved in this.
Has anyone fund any evidence that might say yes or no?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/845449.otmoor-riots/
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise