Author Topic: 60th field coy royal engineers  (Read 3145 times)

Offline sunk island

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
60th field coy royal engineers
« on: Friday 19 November 10 14:38 GMT (UK) »
HELP!!

I have been trying for sometime to trace a ggguncle of mine by the name of Richard Parrott.

I found him on find my past and the only information it could give me was

Richard Parrott

Sapper
Number: - 140724
Date of death 29th july 1916
France and flanders
60th field coy
Royal Engineers
Enlisted - Beverley East yorkshire.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to find out more information, or has info on him or his regiment that may help me.

Thank U
clark, croft, parrott, watson, kirkwood, best, westmorland, langdale, burgess, patrick, button, bristow,wake, markham, garlick, oxtoby, laceby, cully, petch, coupland, holliday, fewson, munbie,

Online jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 60th field coy royal engineers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
The CWGC website gives his company as 69th Field Company RE

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=808354

Based on that - the NA has a war diary for that company WO 95/1840 [there is no diary for any 60 Company - I looked!]

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-2241675&CATLN=7&Highlight=,69,FIELD,COMPANY,ROYAL,ENGINEERS&accessmethod=0

It has not been digitalised - so you can't get to it online. Either a visit to Kew or a request to them for a copy of the relevant pages - click on ordering options.

However, it is unlikely to mention your man by name - few do - but it should tell you what his unit were doing on the relevant time period.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 10 20:34 GMT (UK) »
hello
is there specific info u r searching for such as d.o.b or gravesite or cwgc commemoration?  tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline blueumbrella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a person named Richard Parrot from Hornsea he was my grandmothers possible future husband approx 1910. She never married him and went on to marry my grandfather who she met during w w 1, I know nothing about him, she never spoke of him but a cousin of my Dad's told us of him after her death in 1977. We have a photo of him with my grandma and another as bestman in a wedding photo. Could he be your grt uncle? I would love to know more about the mystery man. These photo's were taken in Hornsea.

Offline sunk island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 March 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I was interested about ur Richard Parrot. I dont think that it is the same one as mine as he was from patrington. However it was a big family and they were in different villages. And it would be interesting to find out more about him.

Do you have anymore info on him, and i will look and see if he fits in with mine. :D :D

Steph
clark, croft, parrott, watson, kirkwood, best, westmorland, langdale, burgess, patrick, button, bristow,wake, markham, garlick, oxtoby, laceby, cully, petch, coupland, holliday, fewson, munbie,

Offline sunk island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 March 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I just wanted to know more abt where he was sent, what he did that sort of thing.

I know about his family life and what he did before but thats it. It would be nice to know how his life  ended.

Thank u

Steph :) :)

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 00:03 GMT (UK) »
hi steph,
2 get in depth info on an individual rather than regimental diary u should try fourteeneighteen.com (chris baker) i have used this researcher and for a modest outlay u get his army service, personal info, and civilian life. from that i have opened many doors to my research that i had previously struggled with. well worth a punt. tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline sunk island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thank u for that will give him a try. Thank u kindly.

Steph ;)

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
hi steph,
the memorial to richard parrott is at thiepval in france, this memorial relates to the missing in action, that is there is no known grave site.

richard died in the battle of the somme which saw 58.000 casualties on the first day of action and some 1,120,000 in the four months of that battle!

googling the regiment will bring up information sites that will indicate theatres of war for 60th field coy. r.e.

a service record would give info on where he was stationed and served and freebmd.rootsweb.com may be useful.

tony