Author Topic: 1851/1861 Census Lookup Requests Please For Ann Rossiter COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 2047 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am doing a one name study of the Rossiter family and am looking for information please about the parents, grandparents & siblings of Ann Rossiter born circa 1840 in Liverpool.

Parents are believed to be Walter Rossiter & Ann Walsh.

Any information would be greatly appreciated please. TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ( Lancs) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookup Requests Please For Ann Rossiter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi rcuser

I don't wish to be rude, but surely if you are undertaking a one name study you should at least have one subscription to a site where you can do your own lookups and research?

Sumi

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rcuser
this is the only result in 1851

HO107 2176/137/3
5 No 2 Court Grovenor Street,Liverpool
James Rossiter 54 formerly farmer b Ireland
Margaret 50 wife b ditto
John 25 son coston porter b ditto
Andrew 23 son ditto b ditto
Mary A 16 dau scholar b ditto
Thomas 14 son coopers app b ditto
Simon 12 son errand boy b ditto
Ann 9 dau scholar b Liverpool

I have to say Sumi.I think you are missing the spirit of this site.Rcuser has been researching the Rossiters for a long time and when it is done many people will benefit from it,so I for one dont mind doing lookups,they are always a challenge to do.
Isy
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 November 10 15:09 GMT (UK) »
IGI extracted birth/christening

Ann ROSSITER
born 16/9/1840
christening 20/9/1840 St. Anthony's Liverpool
parents named Walter & Ann WALSH
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Isy

I enjoy helping anyone with lookups, especially when it involves Liverpool where I was born and bred.  My comment to rcuser was not meant to be nasty in any way...I took the post at face value and it just struck me as odd that someone doing a one name study is relying on others to do the census searches.

If the post said  something like 'I've looked myself and can't find so need another pair of eyes' I would be right in there to help.

If I have the wroing end of the stick, I do apologise.

Sumi

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 November 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isy / Ladyhawk / Sumi,

Many thanks for the posts.

Isy, I have the family you listed in my database but thanks for taking the time and trouble to look that up.

Ladyhawk, thanks for looking Ann up and confirming her data.

Sumi, I have a database of 28899 Rossiters and Rossiter related individuals which I have amassed over 10 years.I use a whole variety of websites, forums and personal e-mail contacts to family members worldwide  to gather this information.

I only post on Rootschat when my usual research methods do not turn up anything. I have already researched my Rossiter
family tree back to 1756 and now devote my time to helping other Rossiter researchers or researching Rossiter lines that no-one else is researching.

If people on the site have a Rossiter query they usually end up finding me to compare and share notes which I am happy to do.

I am always very grateful to the contributors on Rootschat for the assistance they provide as they allow me to record Rossiters more quickly given that there must be millions of them out there who remain unrecorded at the moment.

Unfortunately, if I put all this information into every one of my Rootschat posts people reading it would fall asleep from boredom.

Accordingly, though I always post the information I have, I tend to keep my posts as brief as possible. Maybe I need to rethink that if people are going to think I don't do research before posting.

Hope this clarifies things.

Best wishes to all

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 10 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

or researching Rossiter lines that no-one else is researching.

Can I just ask what purpose that serves?   

Do you feel it is reasonable that other peoples subscriptions are used for this type of research?

I use a whole variety of websites, forums and personal e-mail contacts to family members worldwide  to gather this information.

But who does that info actually help?  With the amount of info now available online plus numerous message boards similar to Rootschat - don't most people with Rossiter connections do their own research?

as they allow me to record Rossiters more quickly given that there must be millions of them out there who remain unrecorded at the moment.

Is this more of a personal hobby than a useful tool - to record every Rossiter ever listed in any records irrespective of any connection? 

But perhaps I am missing the point of the exercise so would be more than happy to be convinced by you as to the use this info is put to

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I research the Rossiters because I want to map out as many lines as I can before information about them becomes unavailable to future generations.

In 10 years time it will be actually harder to map some lines because living members who could have been consulted will have died taking their knowledge of the family with them.Similarly, useful documents can be lost or destroyed.

As to other people's subscriptions, I do not use them. Subscribers CHOOSE to help me or NOT as the case may be. Rootschat is staffed by volunteers who can choose to reply if they wish because I am not forcing them to do so in any way.Most volunteers come to Rootschat because they want to help because that's its purpose.

If all the volunteers stopped, Rootschat would cease to exist and researchers would lose a valuable service,but it would be their choice since they are volunteers.

It's true that there are lots of other message boards, similarly staffed by volunteers which are consulted by researchers but I'm not sure from what you say whether you would regard people consulting these boards as doing their own research.If you do, then count me among them as I consult ( and post on) at least 20 other boards / forums etc.

After our last disagreement, I checked the regulations and asked the mods and discovered that you don't have to post queries relating to your own line so I'm not breaking any rules there.As to the moral argument you put it in terms of financial cost i.e. buying a subscription.I could put it in terms of the time and effort I put in in terms of personal research, posting queries etc from which I won't personally benefit.In both instances it is a matter of choice.

A while ago,you felt that I was deceiving people in my style of posting. As a result I changed that style of posting to one that was more in keeping with your thoughts and I have stuck to that. Interestingly, the new style of posting did not change the numbers of people wanting to help me, indeed numbers increased.

I don't want to keep revisiting this difference of opinion & I think it's doubtful that we will ever agree on this, so I say what I said last time. If volunteers do not want to reply on moral grounds then don't. In addition to the online records, there are as you say other message boards/forums for researchers to consult where the volunteers don't have the same moral dilemma.I'm just wondering what you will do if people decide to give Rootschat a miss in favour of the other choices.

I really appreciate the support given to me by the many volunteers on Rootschat.

I don't propose to go over this argument again as technically speaking it is off topic i.e. not directly related to the query in hand.

The choice to help or NOT is yours. Have a nice day.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 10 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm just wondering what you will do if people decide to give Rootschat a miss in favour of the other choices.

I help on many other boards - not just RC.  My point was that people researching their Rossiter ancestry and needing help would be more likely to post a request for help on a message board - RC or similar

However - as you rightly say - it is personal choice and I have exercised that choice and ignored this type of post on both RC and other boards 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)