Author Topic: George Mead 1834  (Read 7776 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Mead 1834
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
From my reply above

Somebody called DerekandSally appears to have an interest in this family as they have posted a Surrey  1841 transcription error - are they known to you?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
No I don't have any at all, I don't know how many children he was supposed to have either it was just hear say.

He was unmarried and living with his parents in 1861 and living in the Croydon RD which is the same one his death was registered in

There is an 1865 marriage on freebmd you may want to look at

Ignore - that George was b Much Hadham Hertfordshire
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline debs28

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 November 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
no I don't know DerekandSally is there anyway I can contact them?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 November 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Only via an Ancestry subscription - I'll send them an email with the link to this thread in case they have more info for you

I think that 1875 death could possibly be the George Mead b Herts.  He was 36 in 1871 and the family were living in the Croydon RD

Your George disappears after 1861

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 November 10 17:32 GMT (UK) »

I think that 1875 death could possibly be the George Mead b Herts.  He was 36 in 1871 and the family were living in the Croydon RD

The death isn't the George Mead b Herts as he was still alive and living with his wife and children in Croydon in 1881 (RG11; Piece: 821; Folio: 114; Page: 51).

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 November 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Ooops - should have checked that out on the 1881 before I posted - thanks Nigel

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 November 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Ooops - should have checked that out on the 1881 before I posted - thanks Nigel

My guess is that the 1875 death recorded for Croydon registration district is the George Mead born in Coulsdon in 1834 (however, no idea where he was in 1871). Ordering the death certificate would hopefully confirm whether this is correct and may provide a clue as to whether he married between 1861 and 1871 (can't currently see any evidence for marriage).

There is a marriage for a George Mead for 1865 (2a 297 Croydon Sep 1865 qtr). However, this appears to be the marriage of George Mead to Sarah Green (ie the George b Herts).

George's father was a widower in 1871 and living with his daughter Martha and son-in-law (RG10; Piece: 839; Folio: 53; Page: 5). His mother Elizabeth appears to have died in 1864 (2a 114 Croydon Dec 1864 qtr).

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 November 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I have had a reply from the person who amended the 1841 entry - see page 1 - I am sending you the email address by pm but just to fill in some gaps - here is an extract from his reply

George Mead is a distant relative...

He had a younger sister Sarah b 15 Feb 1839 in Coulsdon and she was my great grandmother.

She married John Roffey on 13 Dec 1863 at St George's Hanover Square.

And this rounds it off nicely

I don't know much about George but he was baptised in Coulsdon Parish Church on 3 Dec 1834 and buried there on 8 Sep 1875. His address was recorded as Duppas Hill Lane Croydon on the Coulsdon Parish Burial Records. I'm not sure what happened to him after 1861 when he was unmarried and living with his parents.

Offline Billjo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 July 11 01:33 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting for me. George Mead is my Great Great Great Grand father. Only found out by comming across this  chat. If anyones interested I can post a photo of Alice Roffey's wedding day. She is George Mead's grand daughter. In the photo are John and Sara Roffey.