Author Topic: ***COMPLETED***Civilian War Dead  (Read 6505 times)

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian War Dead
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I will try CGWC, thanks.  I don't suppose you know what happens when people are missing and presumed dead....?

T
CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
TimothB,  Are you looking for a named person?

Do you know which borough they were living in when they may have been  killed or injured?

Do you know the month and year they went missing?

Are you willing to give more details and information.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandmother appears on the CWGC site, she was killed at home in Cross Street, Islington in 1940.  However if I put her details into the search boxes it's not working for me tonight.  I was able to access her record though by putting in just her surname and scrolling down the list.  Perhaps it's worth putting only a name in to begin with.

Good luck, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 November 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a named person, and trying to cover all the possibilities for her apparent disappearance.

Why civilian blitz casualties? - Because after reading some shocking statistics a week or so ago, I have become obsessed with the possibility that the person I am looking for may be one of those sad cases where a person dies and her parents/siblings never know for sure.... 

The lack of marriage or death records might perhaps imply that she disappeared into obscurity, or it could simply be that one vital piece of information like a marriage, name-change or emigration might not have been indexed.

I do, however, feel that having a child at 15/16 in the 1920s might have left her on her own somewhere in the London Metropolitan area.  So, I can't be much more specific about where she ended up, although I am starting from Bromley, Bexley, Lewisham and Bermondsey c 1920 and Mitcham, Croydon, and one of the Sudbury/s are possibilities.

Knowns:

Eileen Muriel HARWOOD, born Jun Q 1904, Hartley Wintney district, Hants

Her father died in Chertsey, in 1911.  I think her family then moved to Bermondsey/Lewisham area.

Her mother, sister and brother-in-law ended their days in Daventry 1970-1980s

Her brother in died in Chichester.

I am currently pursuing death notices, obituaries in case they give some clue as to whether Eileen was still in contact with her siblings.

Timoth

CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
There are no Eileen Harwoods listed in the civilian casualties on the CWGC site.  However there is an Elsie Harwood who died 14.12.1944 aged 42 of 7 Lawson Street in Southwark Metropolitan Borough.  It says she was the wife of George James Harwood so probably not the lady you're looking for.

It must have been nigh on impossible to identify people who were killed.  The lodger who was living with my Great Grandmother survived the blast and was able to tell the authorities who else was in the house at the time of the direct hit.  My Grandmother asked to see her mum to identify her but was told that wouldn't be possible, she was just shown a little scrap of the fabric from GGrandma's dressing gown. 

I've found a death of Eileen Muriel Harwood in 1992 in Bournemouth but she was born 24th August 1916 so again not the right person.

Searching the archive at The London Gazette didn't turn up anything useful either but here's a link in case you want to run some more searches: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Good luck!  Hope you find her
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 November 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you discounted the 4 Eileen M Harwood marriages on FreeBMD, 1943-1948?

I "lost" my father's aunt and eventually found her marrying at the age of 57, about 200 miles from where I expected her to be.   ::)

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have seen some marriages, which will take some discounting, and I have seen one death of an Eileen M EVANS who was born at the right time, who might bear out investigation....

Thanks Nanny and others

Timoth

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
**** Complete **** Re: Civilian War Dead
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
 I'm going to be spending a long time searching for  this needle in a haystack.

Thanks all.

T