Author Topic: *Gravestone photographic resource*  (Read 49599 times)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
Re: *Gravestone photographic resource*
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 August 11 01:50 BST (UK) »
I'm a volunteer for the Gravestonephotos site too.
Maybe it takes a bit of time, but it's genealogy!
I am photographing and preserving the headstone information of complete strangers, of no earthly use to me, but it will be to so many other people, that it is payback for all the help total strangers have given me in my research over the years.
I just do a few dozen transcriptions whenever I have time, and have now completed over 1200 stones, with about 4000 names. So valuable, especially with some old and badly worn and damaged stones in my local cemetery, which won't be there much longer.
Charles and all users of the site would appreciate any help - even two or three photos you may have stored away - they will all be added.

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PhilBeeNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 August 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Go, Churchie!
I was out driving today down a dusty backroad (with camera at the ready!) and stumbled across a tiny cemetery that I didn't know existed...so that's Cemetery No.4 photographed and soon ready to send to Charles.
Gotta love that whole concept of "Pay It forward"!!!   ;)
BRAITHWAITE/Durham; BEST/Durham; GELDART/Lancs.; HALSALL/Lancs.; LIGHTBOURN/Lancs.; LOCKLEY/Stafford.; HUDDLESTON(E)/Lancs.; POSTLETHWAITE/Lancs.; RALPH/Lancs.

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I just have to say  that I think this is an invaluable site and I am very grateful to Charles and all his volunteers who keep it up and running.  I have searched for years for my folk and found them here and received clear photographs by return of e mail.
It has filled in many gaps for me. I even used it this morning .
Many thanks to all who help to keep it going.

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 February 14 23:11 GMT (UK) »
[coff]  I'm doing my bit - photographing the gravestones in the Churchyard in my own village, Okeford Fitzpaine, Dorset.  I, too, found those other WebSites (a) useful, and (b) difficult to add to.

So I banged 'em up on a (FREE!) WebSite I made for them.  Which I then added to.

www.spanglefish.com.okefordfitzpaine

Google will find it if you phrase your question right - e.g.  "Okeford Fitzpaine" +gravestones
And you don't have to plough through starting from "EUrope" !.

[Ahem]  "Go thou, and do likewise" !

If everybody did...
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
It does sound a lot, taking your photos, editing them and inputting data into a spread sheet. I've taken loads of photos but may have to send them in for someone to do the spreadsheet if I don't get round to it soon. It's easy to do some photos  but its harder to find time to do the rest. Especially if you already transcribe! I know of people who found it to much to ask after trying it. Some like www.billiongraves.com so they can do via a smart phone and upload presumably as they take them and they get gps coordinates along with the grave. I've got some bilston cem, a few ryecroft and rushall ones.

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Re: Gravestone project:

I am an active volunteer.

...offering photo's from their local churchyard wishes to put their photo's on disc and send to me in UK  or wants to email photo's to me, I will happily index and send on... Just message me.

Do feel free to help yourself to the graveyard info & pix on my WebSite  www.spanglefish.com/okefordfitzpaine
or I could send you a memory stick - Click the FEEDBACK link on that WebSite.
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES