Author Topic: Elizabeth Johnstone  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Johnstone
« on: Monday 11 April 05 21:34 BST (UK) »
 :)my ggggrandmother Elizabeth Johnstone she was born 1835 Peebles she married Richard Burns 1852 Cardronna Traquair. I am looking for more info on Elizabeth such as siblings parents etc thanks harriet ???
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Johnstone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Harriet
Just wondering, do you have Elizabeth's father as a Robert JOHNSTONE from her marriage cert 19 Sept 1852? Also, if her first daughter was Agnes (born 9 Sept 1852 before the marriage?), by naming patterns, if adhered to, this would be after Richard's mother - do you have his parent's names?  THe IGI birth you found for Elizabeth with a mother named Elizabeth HUNTER was for 1837 - how certain are you she was born 1835?

Have you tried to locate her on the 1841 or 1851 Census for Peebles? Shame Peebles isn't up on FREECEN yet  :(

Admittedly it's a good few years later, but a check of the 1881 Scottish Census reveals no Johnson or Johnstone in Traquair at Census; lots of Burns' though, and there are 3 other JOHNSTONE females - all   daughters born in Traquair 1858-1869 but elsewhere (ROX & SEL) at Census - their fathers were born in Lyne Peebles. This makes me think Elizabeth was not from Traquair at least but it's just a wild think, could be way off beam ;D

Not much help, sorry, but I was just passing by and thought I'd put in my tuppence worth ;D
Cheers
Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Johnstone
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne thanks for that in genealogy any ideas are worth looking at i know now her parents were not Robert Johnstone & Elizabeth Hunter the scottish naming patterns i have always gone by is Eldest son after paternal grandfather second son after maternal grandfather the 3rd son after father Eldest daughter after the maternal grandmother 2nd daughter paternal and 3rd after the mother therefore Elizabeth johnstone's mother would have been Agnes the certificate i got was only the Banns for their wedding stating they were both from the Parish of Traquair but that could mean they had only lived ther for a few months or so going by her death cert she would have been born in 1835 yes it will be great when Peebles is on freecen once again thank you for taking the time it has stired my interest in her again Harriet ::)
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.