Author Topic: 1841 cumberland census swap for info  (Read 4258 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1841 cumberland census swap for info
« on: Wednesday 02 June 04 12:26 BST (UK) »
I am willing to swap the 1841 cumberland census for a bit of help with my family research I have been at a dead end now for some years  I am up to 1829 in carlisle
audrey

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:1841 cumberland census swap for info
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
HI Audrey,
What sort of help are you looking for?
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 04 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ange
thanks for the reply I bought the census from stepping stones and never been abel to use it I thought it was like the 1881 that was very easy skills with the computer are very basic and finde it hard learning new tricks anyway I have been totaly stuck with my family tree and I rearly would like to finde my Ggrandfathers family got him back in the census to 1851 living in east street botchergate carlisle  he was single and gave his age as 27 born preston
but on his death cert dated dec 1887 he gave his age as 58
1861 -1871-1881 he gave his place of birth as carlisle by 1853 he had married Mary Douglas I have the birth cert of the eldest son he was still living botchergate but Hare & hounds lane I have tried tracing bothe birth parents and his marriage  for over 10 years and got no whear i just need some advice rearly from someone who has got further than pre 1830s when there was  no birth cert
audrey

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 04 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, To go back further than 1837 you will need to find when they were baptised which will mean going to the local records office or if you are lucky the Family History Society might have them transcribed onto floppy's or Cd's.
What is the problem you have with the census discs ?
I don't mind taking a look for you want to send it to me and i would then send it back to you.

Steve.

Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 04 18:57 BST (UK) »
hi Steve  I just cant manage this census I think I must be getting senile willing  to give it to anyone that can use it I have the full VRI and 1881 census thats great all indexed the troubel I am having with my G grandfather is I have a 10 age difference from 1851-1887 when he died and about 20 John Sewells all born in the same arear on top of that they all married Marys and had kids called John,James ,and William as my great grandparents  so I am getting no where
audrey

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 04 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, I wouldn't worry too much about the age difference it's quite common for ages to differ from one census to another.
Have you got any certificates, if not you should think about getting some as they will give you more information you can work with.
Also have you been able to find any of them in trade directories ? I have found trade directories to be very useful in my own research , giving me extra clues as to where they lived etc.

Steve.

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 04 22:11 BST (UK) »
Dteve
My G grand father Was John Sewell I have his death cert he died 31 dec 1887 aged given 58 years living Waughs Lane Botchergate plate layer on the railway it was after a  sudden death I also have the coroners inquest I also have all his kids birth cert  all the kids were born botchergate carlisle as I could not finde his birth I went in serch of his marriage once again no luck with that either if you would like this census and can let me have your address I will let you have it if it will be of use to you I do have the railway ancesters CD but no luck on that all my dads family were born in cumberland and then to the north east of england
audrey

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 04 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, i have sent you an e-mail.

Steve.