Author Topic: Crawfords / Clough / Racavan  (Read 13199 times)

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawfords / Clough / Racavan
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 February 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Great info and especially the photos!
I think I can make out that James died 1782 Dec, aged 68 and was from Omebrane.
Really appreciate all of this!
Cheers
Alan

Offline pikestone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 February 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
hi KDrive,
AGHADOWEY on page 2 as a link to the braid site .If you put crawford and clough graveyard into the Ancestor search box , James Crawford is the first one on the list.It said the age was 58 i've looked at the photo it's only a 3x3 photo hard to make out but i think it is 58.Also on the list if you go down about half way  you see (Soarns) Daniel and Charles.

On the photo you posted of the brothers and sisters. Charles is back right he died in 1944,his wife is mary strahan mc cullough  died 1972 and is the photo I sent.

elizabeth crawford (lizzie)second in on left at back was a missionary in China for about 40 years .In the second world war she was held in a japanese  camp in Shanghai.She died 1950 buried in Troon
Scotland.Her husband William was scottish and they met in china he was a missionary too.

Going back to the other photo you posted Charles b.1820 & Mary Jane McKay.His brothers had gone to  ohio/michigan area. His sister Mary McIlwain had gone to the same area too,not sure of dates or who went first but it must have been in the 1840/50s.The only other thing i know about Mary is her son Robert McIlwain joined the Union army in 1861.he was in the 11th Michigan Inf. E company.He was killed on the 31th of Dec 1862 at The Battle of Stone's River. Murfreeboro Tennessee.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 February 15 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you've confused me with another poster? I did put up (several times) link to Braid site but didn't post pictures and am not researching the Crawfords.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Themassons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 January 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am related to Robert Crawford of Clough, died 18/1/1834, he is buried alongside his wife Rose and son John, are you of the same family, I have a copy of the will of John Crawford the son

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Would there, by chance, be anyone with Crawford history in the Clough/Skerry/Braid areas have a connection to the PAUL family who lived in the same area?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 March 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Old post I know, but I thought this was relevant.  For some reason John D’Alton (see below) has James Crawford’s death as 1657, the Braid site has 17[70] and the photo looks like 1782…?

Gentleman’s Magazine, June 1847
https://archive.org/details/gentlemansmagaz05unkngoog/page/n612
Manuscript Compilations for “Histories of the Counties of Ireland”  No. I – County of Antrim
(John D’Alton)

…To resume the manuscript.  “The castle and village of Clough are on every side surrounded by forts, and the parish bounded by ever picturesque trout streams.  The church of that parish (Dunaghy) stands close to Clough, on very elevated ground.  It is a small edifice of unpretending architecture, but presents some monuments worthy of note.  One of these is commemorative of James Crawford, of Omernan, who died 15th December (semble) 1657, and other members of this Scotch clan.  Their stone has the ensigns armorial and the motto.  There is also a tolerably well executed monument to Mr. Hamilton, of Mount Hamilton; a slab to Mr. Samuel MacQuorn, of Ballyreigh, obit. 1738; another to Ann, daughter of David Wallyes, of Malin, and wife to the Rev. Joseph Douglas of Clough, obit. 1770.  In the churchyard are vaults and inclosures for the MacNaghtens; for Captain Hugh Boyd and his descendants; to James Dunwoodies, obit. 1703, and to his family; to Alexander Spear, of Rosedermot, obit. 1764; to Samuel Cupples, of Killyree, obit. 1771, and to his family; monuments to Thomas Alexander, obit. 1712; to James Campbell, obit. 1719; to John Crawford, of Colliery Office (Ballycastle), obit. 1769; to William Edmundstone, of Dunbought, obit. 1770; to the Rev. William Maine (who died in 1816, having been during sixty years rector of this parish) and to his family; to James MacKean, obit. 1772…”

D’Alton wrote “semble” in the date which I think means he was unsure about something.  Was the date difficult to read in the 1840s and has since been (incorrectly) re-carved? 

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 May 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
Would there, by chance, be anyone with Crawford history in the Clough/Skerry/Braid areas have a connection to the PAUL family who lived in the same area?

To be more specific, I would be interested in knowing more about Rose McElheron married to Robert Crawford. Did she have a sister named Mary? I have a Mary McHaron (which is, I believe, actually McElheron) married to a Moses Paul in the Knockanully area of Skerry in the early 1800's- maybe 1820ish.

Offline Galgano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 May 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
I've also just come upon this old thread.  I started out with my Crawfords in Grantown and Elgin in Scotland,  however recently I've discovered that my GGGGrandfather Robert Crawford owned three parcels of land near Ballymena and a home in Magherafelt.  I'm almost certain that he inherited the land, as my GGgrandfather, James Crawford when he married in Geelong, Victoria stated that his father was a "marine or mariner". 

Robert Crawford was born in Elgin, Scotland and married Mary Gibson there before moving to Antrim when they were around 21 years old in 1820.  His father was Samuel Crawford who's father was George Crawford, the bleacher at Grantown, Scotland.  The Grantown museum staff believed that George Crawford had been recruited to the town when they began a linen industry in the mid 1700's.  They thought perhaps Ireland.

The fact that Robert went from being a marine/mariner in 1855 to a land owner when he died in 1869 suggested he might have inherited the land.  He named his sons James, Robert and John Hamilton and.  James was the only one to have a family and he names a son John Hamilton and that has continued to today with John Hamilton Crawford in Australia, Scotland and the U.S. all being descendants from James.

While I have located a John Hamilton Crawford who lived in the U.S. and is also a descendant of Crawfords from Ballymena, I have not made any contact with descendants that can assist in making the connection with my family.

Does this generate any thoughts?
Gavin