Author Topic: Help with reading a will please - Completed  (Read 3774 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading a will please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all of you, I am glad to finally know Penelope's last name and hopefully can find out more about her. I too believe that she died before Louisa (19 Sept 1836) age 86, still living in Hampton Court. Louisa was the daughter of Sir Nicholas Bayly and the sister of Sir Henry Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge. She married Thomas in Plas Newth, Angelsy, Wales on 6 Apr 1789. It must have been incredibly sad for her, to bury the man she loved and was married to for 20 years, knowing that he was still so utterly devoted to another woman! Although there are many references to Thomas in newspapers and books of the time (giving his opinion on the slave trade and also as a witness at the trial of Governor Joseph Wall!!) I have been unable to find any sort of hint as to his parentage. I would love to link him to my family tree and wondered if anyone has any advice as to how to trace his military history and whether or not that would hold any clues? The only possibilities that I can currently find are as follows: Thomas, s/o John Puplet, 10 May 1749, Banstead, Surrey. Thomas, s/o Francis Harvest, 9 Jan 1747, Banstead, Surrey. Thomas Puplett, s/0 William, 13 Jun 1732, Mitcham, Surrey. Thomas Puplet, s/o Thomas & Ann, 23 Nov 1732, Ewell, Surrey. Thomas Puplett, s/o Thomas & Mary, 4 Jul 1746, Hatfield Peverill, Essex. and Thomas Puplett, s/o Phillip & Margaret, 1747, Westminster. Any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated as the whole story behind the will is so sad and enthralling.
Regards, Jo.
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 161, 1836 had an obituary which did not specifically mention a burial place unfortunately.

Lately....

Sept. 21.

At Hampton Court, aged 86, Louisa Augusta, widow of Capt. Thomas Poplett, R.N., aunt to the Marquis of Anglesey.
She was the fifth and youngest dau. of Sir Nicholas Bayly, Bart. by Caroline, dau. and heiress of Gen. Thomas Paget, and was married in 1789.

This is two days later than the death date you have. Does the above mean she was buried on the 21st at Hampton Court perhaps?

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Veeblevort,

The London Burials show Louisa Augusta Poplett, Hampton Court, buried Sept 19 1836, age 86. Buried by S.J. Goodinough(?) Vicar. This is all that I have found, but I admit I haven't searched the newspaper archives, as I am sure that with her family connections, that there would be a notice. I only hope that she was not a sad and lonely old lady. It appears that they never had any children either! I can't help to feel sad for Louisa.

Regards, Jo
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pru, Hugh & Veeblevort,

Thank you all for your help, it is brilliant to finally be able to read the whole will!! I can't thank you enough. :) I just had a complete Doh!! ??? moment after reading Veeblevorts last post. I have the will of Louisa!! Another one that I was unable to fully decipher, but given the time and interest that you all have shown (who doesn't love a "good love story"?) I thought that I should also post her will. I can't believe that I forgot about it.
Cheers, Jo

I can't post it - too big, so I will have to rescan just that one page. Have tried saving that single page as a word doc but still too big!! Anyway, Louisa requests that she be buried at the nearest place of internment (I think), how sad.
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous story - it sounds like something tragic out of a Bronte or Austen novel.  :)