Author Topic: Ann Stewart c 1740 Dull Perthshire  (Read 10452 times)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stewart c 1740 Dull Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 November 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Her mother, Katharine Robertson, was born in Kincraigie and resided in Cuiltaloskin at the time of her marriage.    It is 21.8 miles from Kincraigie to Blair Atholl.  That seems a long distance to travel from one's residence to have a child baptized. 

There is more than one Kincraigie. Are you sure you have the right one. There is a farm of that name not far from Blair Atholl, above Old Bridge of Tilt.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 November 10 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!  Local knowledge is essential.  Without a map, I can tell you how to drive from Lost Creek to Luckenbach to Llano in Texas.  I can tell you that Bexar county is pronounced "bare" and the town of Manchaca is pronounced "MAN-shook" and the town of Sequin is pronounced "se-GEEN".   I cannot tell you why.       

I think you have the correct address.  As a fifth-generation Texan, and the grandson of Glaswegians who emigrated to the US in 1920, my knowledge of Scotland's geography is limited to what appears in published sources or a Google search.  Many thanks.

Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 December 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a Dalnacardoch in Glen Garry.  Would this be a possibility?
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 December 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
It is the only placename ending with "-nacardoch" that I know of, and it is possible that there may once have been a dwelling in the area called Lagganacardoch.  :-\  I'd be inclined to reserve judgement and see if the name turns up in any other documents that might give a clue as to where it was.
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 December 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Isabel.  Dall and Laggan apprear similar to me.  The first means hollow and the second means valley, but I don't have the Gaelic.  Go to the following:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~patricia/mcgregor.htm
Patricia Taggart states:  "Robert McGrigor married Janet Scot in 1751. Janet was from Borlich, not far from Aberfeldy.  We know they had at least three children, James, Elspeth and Thomas, these children being born in LaggannaCardoch in the parish of Dull.  I have searched in all the old maps and found no trace of the village.  I believe the clearances may have been the cause of this community being wiped forever from the record books.  Laggan na Cardoch must have been a reasonably big crofting community because in the course of my research I noticed many other families residing here and many children being born from here."

NOBLEMEN AND GENTLEMEN'S SEATS, VILLAGES, by By SUTHERLAND AND KNOX, 1857 gives the following for the proprietor of Borlich: "Borlich, Perth, Peter M'Lean, farmer, Aberfeldy." 
The attached OPR clip has Alexander (presumed to be my 5th g-grandfather) son to Robert Campbell and Grizle Scott in Borlich.   Alexander's wife, Elspeth Campbell was born in Croftnamuick. This is located between Camserney and Farleyer, which is west of Menzies Castle.  The witnesses at her baptism were James and Alexander Menzies.  I am finding that a number of the holdings
given as residences for my ancestors appear to have been owned by Mezies of that Ilk.  Is this significant in some way?

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 December 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
A friend who comes from generations who lived in Dull thinks your suggestion of the area near Meall na Ceardaich and Carn na Ceardaich is the most likely. I am interested to know where Lagganacardach was and why it does not seem to be on any maps. I'll keep it in mind and let you know if I discover anything.
The Menzies family owned a large amount of land in the area, and would have had many tenants.
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Might it have been the name of a farmhouse of farmstead (group of farm buildings) which no longer exists, or has since been renamed, hence not being able to find it on a map or a google search? It may also account for it being misnamed/misinterpreted (if indeed it has been) if it and the spelling was not known to whoever wrote the name in the Parish Register?

I found something similar when researching a remote area of Scotland where a family appears to have christened children at home in the late 1700's and the name of the farm was given in the PR's. It was possibly well known enough in the area at the time to be worth naming in the PR's. I did eventually find it on the Ordnance Survey map and it is simply a group of three of four farm buildings today.

Have you scanned an online Ordnance Survey map for the area you think it may be? They show amazing detail.  :)

Have you checked baptisms of siblings to see if they were also baptised in the same place and how it is spelled/referred to. 

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help, Isabel.  I am curious about one of the witnesses.  I read his name as "John ni no Caird".  Have I got the spelling right?  What does it mean? 

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions,  ruskie. I use both the ordinance and the antique maps available on the National Library of Scotland website.   I also use the search facility on ScotlandsPlaces.  I have found many abandoned and ruined farmsteads that way.  I also use Google Books to identify proprietors of farm holdings.  The inconsistency of spelling and the difficulties of representing Gaelic pronunciations and meanings in English create another challenge.  That is why I have found the participants in this forum to be invaluable in informing my limited understanding of the geography, language, customs, and social conditions of Scotland in the previous age.