Author Topic: Gareys in London from 1700  (Read 10689 times)

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gareys in London from 1700
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Michiel
I just found a Sarah Ogle who married Martin Garey in London in 1824. You mentioned that Henry Goldsmit's wife was Sarah Ward Ogle. Any connection?

And Letitia Garey married Richard Ward in 1845 in London!

Laurence

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
i have found in the city archives of The Hague:

edward richard garey, his death registered on june 24, 1869, The Hague, no record of him been born in The Hague;
george washington garey, death registered on may 16, 1865, Loosduinen (adjacent to The Hague, present day a part of The Hague)

the dates in my yesterday posting come verbatim from the grave-stone, i take them for most reliable.

Do you have any idea about genealogy sites and online archives from Paris?

regards, Michiel

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 February 12 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Laurence,

another Goldsmid/Ward has turned up:

http://akevoth.org/genealogy/asser/649.htm

"Family Page
"Claude Joseph Goldsmid-Montefiore
"Married 14 Jul 1902 London, West London Synagogue Maryleborne to:
"Florence Fyfe Brereton Ward, birth 1853 Westbury, Wiltshire, England, died 10 Dec 1938
"1) Leonard Montefiore

of course it wasn't unusual for well-to-do families to 'intermarry' frequently.

plus:
check sara elizabeth gardner on same site!

Michiel

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting Michiel. I wonder why Sarah Elizabeth used the name Gardner. Maybe she changed from her father's name after his trial, but that was 2 years after her marriage. Or it could be that Gardner is very close to Garey in the registers and it was wrongly transcribed.
I still cannot find details of Edward Richard Garey. If he was the nephew of George Washington G, I assume he was the son of Napoleon Garey, but I only have him with 2 daughters. Why is he recorded as a nephew, when his father (?) only died in 1914? Mysterious.
Earlier in this thread (reply 6, 1 December 2010) ShaunJ note that Napoleon was a gas engineer in Nimes!
I have no direct information on Paris sites, as you asked, but I shall look. The LDS might help.
I have no pictures of these people.
I did check on the home of Edward Bryant G, and he lived at Powis Place, London W1, which today runs between the two famous hospitals of Queen Square (neurology) and Great Ormond Steet (children). Nice area. Better than Tasmania, or at least where he lived in Tasmania.
Best wishes
Laurence

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 February 12 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Michiel:
Just saw this on Wikipedia:
Diana and her companions by Vermeer:
Neville Davison Goldsmid of The Hague owned the painting from 1866-1875, before it passed into the hands of his widow, Eliza Garey of The Hague and Paris. She sold it with other works at the Goldsmid sale on May 4, 1876, when Victor de Stuers bought it for the collection of the Koninklijk Kabinet van Schilderijen Mauritshuis, the Hague.[17]
Maybe you can find it and get it back for me!

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 March 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed. There's money in gas! Interesting that I received an email yesterday from the gt grandson of George Garey and Susannah Annesley. I had been in touch with him some years ago. Much of what I have on that branch came from him.
Best wishes
Laurence

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 25 March 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
hi Laurence,

an ad in the newspaper ‘Dagblad voor Zuid-Holland en ‘s-Gravenhage (i.e. daily paper for South-Holland and The Hague), thursday 18 may 1865:

(my translation)

"Missing
at may 6th mister George Washington Garey has left his house in The Hague, and has not been heard of since.
His features are: old 36 years, tall 1 ell 6.5; black hair, as are beard and moustache, brown eyes as are eye-brows, high fore-head.
Garments: shiny black everlasting coat and vest, black and white striped trousers, elastic silk little boots, black tie, black silk hat and brown leather gloves, the linnenwear marked G.G.;
Carried a golden watch without chain, golden buttons on shirt and sleeves. Speaks english and french.
For the discovery of mentioned gentleman, be it alive or dead, a reward of one to two hundred guilders is issued, to be reported to the Belinfante brothers, booksellers, wagenstraat, the Hague."

Two days earlier he had died in the nearby town of Loosduinen, see my earlier posting.

Anyway, now we know what he looked like. And that he liked black and silk.

Michiel

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 25 March 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Fascinating! Many thanks.
Laurence