Author Topic: St Anthonys, Walkers, Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 31787 times)

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Anthonys, Walkers, Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 April 05 03:00 BST (UK) »
IMP/Addition and afterthoughts,

The St Anthony`s RC church i mentioned previously is in the St Anthony`s district of Walker .. (also known as Pottery Bank locally) Newcastle upon Tyne.

Have looked in my streetmap book I cannot see a Church St in Wallsend. Have a strong feeling the confusion here is to due to boundary changes.

Tried 2 find the church in phone book to clear up the "padua" bit but so far have drawn a blank. I`ll think on this and will post if i find any more out.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Anthonys, Walker, Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 05 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Slogger,

Thanks for your post, it is helpful.  :)

My Gran also has talked about Pottery Bank.  There was a pub there called the Lord Raglin Inn, she said it was still there in the 1970's put I haven't found any trace of it on the www.

Claire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob Northumberland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire

There are two churches of St Anthony in the Walker/St Anthony's area of Newcastle upon Tyne:

1.  St Anthony of Egypt (Church of England), Belmont Street.  This is near Pottery Bank;

2.  St Anthony of Padua (Roman Catholic), Church Street/Welbeck Road.

Wallsend is a different town, adjoining Walker and is part of North Tyneside MBC.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob
Researching
FAIRFAX:  Northumberland; Leicestershire; Warwickshire.
PATTISON:  Northumberland; Durham; Cumberland.
HART:  Newcastle upon Tyne; Ireland.
TAYLOR:  Dundee, Scotland; Madras, India.

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,
after i posted last night knew i had made an error. St Anthony of Egypt church on Belmont st is as both Helen and Rob state C of E.

The Lord Raglin Inn?? ... There was a boarded up pub right down on the river below St Anthony`s/Pottery bank but i cannot remember what it was called. It was next to a hostel for homeless men.

My daughter works in Byker will get her 2 ask around.

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 05 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,
I`ve been in hospital for a week and forgot to ask my daughter if she had any info on Lord Raglan pub yet  but will chase it up. Did u find the church records u needed?

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 May 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Slogger

Yep, I got the certificate I wanted thanks.  Its just interesting to know the church is still there, incase I ever get the chance to visit.

Thanks for asking your daughter aboutn the pub, don't worry that you forgot!!  Sorry to hear you have been in hospital, I hope you are feeling better, or just happy to be out.

Claire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 May 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
AngelFish,

Just a little on St Anthony of Padua, Roman Catholic Church in Walker.

In 1800s the term "Parish" only applied to a patch of land that was ecclesiastically "controlled" by a Church ( of England). Other denominations ( referred to then as "non-conformists"), did not use the term "Parish".

St Anthony of Padua (RC) started in 1860 and is still going.

Maybe why, it does not get a mention on Genuki, is that Genuki describes the hierarchy of Churches of England, it simlpy lists other churches and says where there can be viwed.

Also St Anthony of Padua's church records were only offered up to Tyne&Wear Archives for copying, within last 18 months or so ( a long story... but not here ! ).

On a geographical basis, St Anthony of P, lay within the territory of the Parish of Longbenton ( C of E )

Parish of Longbenton ( like all parishes) was sub-divided into "Townships", Longbenton village itself, Killingworth, Weetslade and Walker. So Longbenton Parish went right down to the bank of the Tyne, between the Parishes of All Saints, Newcastle and of Wallsend.

All BMDs within Longbenton Parish were required to be registered within the District Register Office of Tynemouth
( but shoe leather could be saved... Tynemouth DRO was divided into Sub-District Register Offices, 7 of them, and one was at Longbenton village.

And I will finish this ramble on the fact that many censuses record a person's " Parish( C of E ) of birth" and not a
" Place of Birth".

Michael Dixon,
Blyth ( with one half in Horton Parish and other half in Earsdon Parish.. in C19th terms)
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline John G.

• RootsChat Extra
  • De die in diem compos mentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just a correction St. Anthony of Padua RC, was built in 1860 in the Parish of Walker not Longbenton. As Walker became a Parish in it's own right in 1848 when Christ Church  C of E was built, the Parish Church of Walker.

Walker never belonged to Longbenton. Until 1715 it was owned by individuals. Then the Corporation of Newcastle upon Tyne bought the Lordship or Manor of Walker from the executors of William Dickenson for £12,200. Then in 1904 by an Act of Parliament, it became part (Suburb) of Newcastle upon Tyne.

On BDMs, all certificates pertaining to Walker are now held at the Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne.

On St. Anthony of Padua, it has changed a lot from when I was married there.

John G. 8)
Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 June 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
John G,

The History of Longbenton Parish ( on www.genuki.com) still says that Longbenton Parish covered down to the River Tyne and one of it's "townships" was Walker.

And between 1837 and 1930, all BMDs that happened in Walker and in the entire Longbenton Parish were recorded within the District Register of Tynemouth.

Today some of these BMD records may well  be held at the Newcastle Civic Centre. ( Some other BMDS that happened in other parts of Longbenton  are today held at North Shields DRO).

But if  someone was trying to trace a BMD, say in late 1800s, that took place in Walker,  it would still be listed under Tynemouth DRO, not Newcastle DRO, in General Record Office Indexes.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.