Author Topic: 12th battalion The Kings Regiment (Liverpool)  (Read 10421 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
12th battalion The Kings Regiment (Liverpool)
« on: Monday 22 November 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit of a long shot but perhaps ……

On 28th January 1941 a 22 year old corporal with this battalion was killed ‘as a result of enemy action’.

He was stationed along the north east coast - his letters refer to ‘freezing in a concrete blockhouse’ and ‘staring at the bleak North Sea waiting for invaders’.  The postal address for the battalion was c/o Ashington Post Office, Northumberland.

His death is registered in Northumberland Central (right area for Ashington and surrounds) and CWGC has him buried in Manchester which is where he came from.

What is missing, to make the picture complete, is the nature of the enemy action.  Search as I might I can find no reports which fit nor do I know exactly where he was along that area of coastline.

Any ideas?

Christine

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 12th battalion The Kings Regiment (Liverpool)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
He could have been walking along the beach  and  a German Fighter Pilot may have taken a pot shot  at him.

Or his  unit may have been guarding  a Radar Installation which was being bombed.

Have a look for radar or W/T  installations  along  that coast.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I think the pot shot theory is more likely as I can find no record of a bombing raid at that time.  The nearest is on 27th Jan. on Walker Naval Yard in Newcastle.  One man did die the following day as a result of that but in Newcastle - which rules out the Northumberland Central registration.

I have looked at the local paper - nothing there.

Thanks

Christine

Offline bamboo43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

I cannot say what happened to your man, but I do know that there were many instances of Luftwaffe fighters dive bombing coastal defence garrisons all down the East coast of Britain.

My Grandfather's original battalion (9th Devon's) was attacked several times at Felixstowe and I think Rayleigh in Essex.

The 12th Liverpool's have a War Diary at the National Archives, he may be mentioned in that or at least the enemy action that led to his death.

The file reference for their diary is WO166/4356, this is 1940 and 1941 inclusive.

Good luck.

Steve.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

There were a lot of bombing raids around here - most listed on the N E War diaries site - not one suitable though.  There may well have been smaller ones though, too many to warrant a mention, perhaps.

I did find the 12th battalion war diaries on the National Archives site but am too far away to check easily.  I have, however, now found someone with access to a copy so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I may know more.

Thanks

Christine

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Christine

You've already been given good advice, and I have nothing to add in that respect.

If you want an idea of what these war raised battalions were doing, take a look at:

http://www.walberswickww2.co.uk/

The South Lancs were doing the same thing down the coast - the experience was the same.

I was struck by the fact that Officers were not issued sidearms for many months, probably good thing the germans didnt invade (although I know many squaddies who are of the opinion officers should *never* be issued firearms..... ;D)

Regards

Pete

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 November 10 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Although my main interests are family and local history I am actually a vounteer at Blyth Battery on the Northumberland coast which is how I was asked to do this research on behalf of someone else.

My military knowledge is not nearly as good as others in our group but I do know the Kings regiment were not posted at Blyth.  They seem to have been further north and, apparently moved around quite a bit.  I think I'm going to have to wait till I can read the war diaries for January 1941 before I can move on.

Walberswick website looks interesting - I'm off to have a better look.  Here's ours

http://blythbattery.org.uk/

Christine

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 November 10 07:45 GMT (UK) »
That is very interesting.     I used to live near a place called Fort Crosby in Lancashire  near the mouth of the River Mersey.    I believe it had three big  12 inch or 15 inch guns protecting the entrance to the River.    Has your battery had its guns removed?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 November 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Alas the guns were removed in 1949 and the gun pits filled in with conrete.  We would love to get our hands on a gun though and are actively looking!

Recently we have managed to acquire a searchlight to go in one of the two searchlight buildings.  We might be closed during the winter but a lot of work goes on behind the scenes.

Christine