Author Topic: **COMPLETED**How to find burial place - Thomas Morrison  (Read 4439 times)

Offline amg2512

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED**How to find burial place - Thomas Morrison
« on: Tuesday 23 November 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Morrison born about 1775 in Dunfermline.  I have been searching for ages trying to find his place of burial, I am sure Dunfermline but where?

Thomas was Grandfather to Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate in America.  he was by all accounts quite a talker.   Thomas died in Bradford, unfortunately in April 1837..  I am pretty sure that his family would have had his body returned to Dunfermline.

How can I find out where he was buried? I'm at stale mate, it's so frustrating.

Thanks for any ideas.
Alison

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to find burial place - Thomas Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
hi

this is from the fife death index, as his death hasn't been recorded until 1840 in dunfermline and the family were fairly poor at the time, i don't think they would have had the body brought back to dunfermline.

Thomas MORRISON      Dunfermline     1840      occupation shoemaker   husband   of Ann Hodge(dec)   
died on lecturing tour in England #Mem of Eben Henderson (1909)   Printed Sources         

Ann HODGE   MORR:   Dunfermline     1814         wife   of Thomas Morrison(shoemakr)   see "Andrew Carnegie" [her grandson] by Joseph Frazier Wall   Printed Sources   

maybe the book by joseph frazier wall might have more info hope this helps

jac2      
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline amg2512

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How to find burial place - Thomas Morrison
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jac2, I will try to find the book mentioned.  How sad, I did wonder if they would bring his body home, I knew his wife had died 1814 leaving him with 6 children (including twin girls 2 years old) under the age of 11.  There was obviously extended family help but of course I can't trace any of his siblings.

I suspect Thomas' son Thomas who by 1851 was a master shoe maker employing 21 labourers would have some how corrected? his fathers demise, perhaps a headstone/monument.   It's so strange how when researching family members, you feel a real connection with some and the morrison's are my heartstrings.    Thomas Jr was Bailie Tom Morrison and I suspect inherited his fathers tongue, I'm sure there is so much more on them but I draw blanks all the time and regretably my dad (must have known) never so much as said one word....

Thank you again, I will try to delve deeper.
Alison