Author Topic: Sarah OWEN, MONTGOMERY, WALES  (Read 4131 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah OWEN, MONTGOMERY, WALES
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I  have just found out that Sarah OWEN b c 1846 in Montgomery, has come out to Australia and ended up in Victoria, where she has taken up with a Charles MASON who was widowed with 8 children the youngest just 3mths old . ???
Sarah had two children with Charles.
If anyone can help with information regarding Sarah's family, and when she came out to Australia ,the ship that she may have came out on that would most appreciated.

Kind regards
Annette. :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah OWEN, MONTGOMERY, WALES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annette

I am afraid you do not provide enough information for any details at my disposal to help. There is no Sarah Owen(s) born in 'Montgomery' around 1846 according to the 1851 census and none in a Free BMD search. There are several possibilities from the county of Montgomeryshire but apart from the time it would take to list them all there is no way you could know which is correct.
You say Sarah 'took up with' Charles Mason. Does this mean they did not marry? If they did the obvious thing to do would be to find a marriage which would give her father's name which would narrow down the search.
As far as the ship is concerned then my subscription only gives access to a few records which reveal nothing.
I suggest you either search in Australia or ask on the 'Australia' part of Rootschat.
Sorry I can't help

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I will have to see if I can maybe find out when Sarah died.
Sarah never married Charles Mason that was what I have been told.
I may try the Australian site to see if I can get anywhere.
Thank you for you imput which I appreciate very much.

Thanks again
Annette.
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 10 03:27 GMT (UK) »
I have just obtained the birth certificates of both Henry and William Mason .
It has that there mother Sarah never married on Henry's one and Sarah was 34yrs and her birth place was Montgomery, North Wales. So I worked out that Sarah would have been born about 1836 ? ???

I now have some more searching to do.

Regards
Annette   :)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 December 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

LDS show several possibilities born in the county circa 1836 and it will be difficult on the details you gave to pick the correct one with any certainty. If it is the town of Montgomery (not the county) then I see one from Forden which is about 2 miles away.

I am a little confused when you say that Sarah did not marry on Henry's birth certificate- what about on William's and if she was married what about the wedding certificate?

Have you tried on the Australian board for the immigration?

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 December 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thanks and on the birth certificates it had on William 's that Father, Charles Mason and it had Mother Sarah Owen as the maiden name and no married one.
On Henry's one it has Father Charles Mason and Sarah Owen as Mother.
It also had that they were not married.
I will have to and find out the immigration lists to see if I can come up with the name as I do not know when she came out?

Thanks for you info much appreciated
Annette :)