Author Topic: Bradda  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bradda
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
The abode on my Great Grandfather's baptism is Bradda in the parish of Rushen. How big is the district of Bradda? Is it the area around Port Erin and Bradda Head? Any idea of the sort of environment where he lived? His father's occupation at the time was shoemaker. 

Thanks,

C

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bradda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Googling the area - seems to be lots of info on various websites
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Yes I've googled I just want someone with local Manx history knowledge to let me know if possible what area the traditional district of Bradda covered. The baptism is from 1872 so it's information about Bradda back in the 1870s. I'm wondering where they would have lived in Bradda.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frances. The district of Bradda was the area north of Port Erin and to the west of Rowany Golf Course heading out towards Bradda Head.

C

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
it's nice to be thanked for a reply posted on another board (where I suspect you will reach more Manx resident posters) - however have you thought about buying the 2.5"/1mile outdoor leisure map from say Manx Museum (shop@mnh.gov.im) which gives quite a lot of detail re areas on the Island.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The following link http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/parishes/rn/index.htm contains a description of Rushen from Brown's Isle of Man Directory, 1894.

A fuller description, and directory can be found at http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/tg1863/rn.htm (1863 directory).

Boot & Shoemakers:
Thomas Callow, William Callow, Richard Crebbin, Thomas Gamine, Samuel Kegg, Thomas Kegg, Henry Qualtrough, Joseph Sansbury.

There were mines in Bradda.

My recollection is dim (I lived in Ramsey, far to the north!) but I think there are few streets of older houses there.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:43 GMT (UK) »
The next available directory (1881) inludes the following boot & shoe makers:

Edward Collister
John Crellin
William Cubbon
William Kegg
John Keggeen
John Kelly
Edward Maddrell
Henry Woodworth
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 November 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frances and KGarrad. Here is more information about my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Mylchreest he was a Malew man but he lived for a time in Rushen:-

1835 Baptism - On 20/9/1835 at St Marks, Malew his parents are Solomon Mylchreest and Jane Keeney or kennah.

1841 Census - He is with his father Soloman and mother Jane at Barrule, Malew

1851 Census - He is a Farm Servant visiting the Quine family at Ballakilley in Malew.

1861 Census - He is an Agricultural Labourer staying with the Kermode family in Bradda.

1861 Marriage - On 25/4/1861 to Esther Corrin at Kirk Rushen, Thomas recorded as a farmer in Bradda.

1871 Census - Occupation Mariner the family is living at Four Roads, Rushen.

1872 Baptism - Son Samuel my Great Grandfather. Abode says Bradda occupation says Shoemaker.

1881 Census - Occupation Quarrier the family is living at Billown Cottage in Malew.

1881 Death Certificate - Thomas died in 1881 at Billown, Malew occupation says Labourer.

1898 Samuel's Marriage - Thomas is recorded as a Bootmaker.

C