Author Topic: PEMBERTON - 1853 Victoria  (Read 16573 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PEMBERTON - 1853 Victoria
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 05 January 12 02:59 GMT (UK) »
 it must be around 1903 joeflood

The words on the photo say "Xmas1904"

I am sure we all regret that you have so far found this site to be a pain.

Hopefully, you will decide to persevere and develop your understanding of how things are set up so that there is no more needless time wasting for you.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joeflood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 05 January 12 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Does nothing towards fixing the problem Sue. I had hoped for an explanation.

Certainly when I reply to a post notified by email, it takes me straight to the right place. When I try to reply to one found on google - oh dear.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 05 January 12 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

you should be getting a notification by email  that a post has occurred on  your topic  you then click on  the link provided and it will get you back here

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline joeflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 05 January 12 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jenn. Buggy websites aside:

I see that I have actually put up two trees of the family on rootsweb, they come up top if you google "Edward James Elgin Coade" but not if you google  Pemberton, as they are too old now. They were the first trees I put up there, so they are getting rather dated. They were never too strong on Pemberton, as it was not their main focus - which was "Coades of Praze-an-Beeble and Beechworth".

Ted (E J E) and Mary Coade my ggps are in the front of the picture I posted. Mary was the evil genius of the family. Her stepfather Robert Tindale is behind with (Doris I)rene my gm on his knee, and his three daughters are to the left. Daisy is the only Pemberton there - but it does show she was in Perth 1904, two years after her mother the much-married Blanche Nicholls died.

==========================================

There has always been some debate on which hotel in Beechworth Walter Pemberton owned - my family always swore that Ted Coade had been brought up in the Star Hotel - however the following settles it ( book exerpt):

=========================================
At any rate Thomas and Blanche, heedless of the 37 year age gap, settled down in Beechworth with their new son Edward Elgin Coade.  Six years later Thomas died. His estate was fairly modest - Cash £50, property $53, debt Lloyd’s Bank £27. Costs of admin £26, funeral £16, balance £34

Blanche, being appreciative of the virtues of older men, married in the same year 1874 her elder sister’s father in law, the widower Walter Pemberton, a youngster only 27 years her senior. Walter was a blacksmith and wheelwright, and held a publican’s licence for the Nicholas Hotel  in Beechworth which in a gold mining town should have been a licence to print money. The hotel was built in 1857 and known at that time as the Railway Hotel. A forge in the hotel yard is reputedly the place where Joe Byrne of the Kelly Gang had his armour made. Ned Kelly’s bare-knuckle fight with Isaiah “Wild Wright” was held in the year of their marriage, and the site backs onto the hotel. In the family is a pewter mug from the hotel, from which Ned, Australia’s most famous bushranger and a national icon, is alleged to have drunk.

With Pemberton, Blanche had four more children – and young Ted Coade was brought up in the atmosphere of a noisy gold rush hotel. Walter died more than twenty years later in 1895, with their youngest child only 2 years old. The following year, not being partial to the company of men her own age, Blanche married her son’s best friend, Machin Tomlinson, 13 years her junior. The hotel had not been Blanche’s fortune: when she died in 1902 at the age of 50 she was put to rest in an unmarked pauper’s grave.

Offline cns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 17 April 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann PEMBERTON (née) BEST (1825-1853) was my 3+ grandmother. For those wondering about the cause of her death, she died of exhaustion, a typical outcome of Ascites from which she suffered for seven months.

Offline may164

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 18 April 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, Mary Ann too is my 2x g grandmother. Her death cert took a while to locate and her burial record too. I think of her  every 25th Dec.
Would you like to chat further on personal email about our shared family knowledge?I may have some bits and pieces for you if interested.
Perrin,Pemberton,Surrey,Best,Counsell,McLaren,
Stuart,Stewart,Hannan,O'Leary,O'Regan,Clancy,
Browne,Poore,Leitch,Davis,May,Ryan,Nicholls,
O'Callaghan,Moore,O'Connor,Tyler,Johanson,
Beaumont

Offline cns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 18 April 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, may164, I would like to chat with you on personal email. I am new to this site, so could you explain the process that enables personal emails between us?

Offline joeflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 20 November 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if anyone still sees this site - but we  have found a trove of Beechworth Pemberton and Tindall photos.They are on
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133540890@N07/sets/72157675238032301

also  the Coad book has something about these Pembertons - specifically  the passages above
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/coad

Joe Flood

Offline Milly Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 20 November 16 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thanks Joe, it was a wonderful surprise to see photos of my Great Grandparents for the first time.
Can you give me a contact to Rozanna Lilley to thank her too?
I take it that she is a cousin of yours.
Best wishes,
Louise.

McNeil, Pemberton, Bremmell, Solberg, Hall, Finlay, Nicholls, Berry, Sutherland, Giddey, Tickle