Author Topic: Nalty Family from Mayo  (Read 3206 times)

Offline mcflirtybabe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nalty Family from Mayo
« on: Thursday 25 November 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am Lilli the Great -Grandaughter of Bessie Nalty from house no 2, Killcommon, Pollothomas, Circa 1900. I am trying to trace relatives or people who might have information about my family. My Mum was born in Killcommon, but lived her childhood years in Westmeath.
Apparently lots of relatives lived in this area.

As far as I can see the Nalty's have a history in the area from about 1830, but where did they come from? They were Church of Ireland, so possible English connections...maybe? Or were they originally McNulty's, I know there are McNulty's in the area.

The earliest Nalty I have is a Patrick/Patt Nalty born about 1830, he Married a Bridget O'Toole, or Toole, who was a Catholic. They had 2 sons Stephen and Edward.

Edward Nalty Married a Jane Beatty from Cavan. Apparently she was brought from Cavan by the Church of Ireland Vicar, due to the lack of Protestants in the area, I have no idea is this is true. She was allegedly a Mary Jane Beatty.

Bridget Toole/O'Toole had a father called Roger Toole...whom I can find no trace of!Roger is a curious name for an Irishman?

Edward Nalty and Jane Beatty had lots of Children: Bessie My great Gran; Patrick, James; Mark, Stephen, Edward and Anthony.

His Brother Stephen became a Catholic and Married a woman called Bridget (Kelly?), They had two children: Mary Nalty and a son Patrick - who we believe was a Policeman in Salthill Galway - he married and allegedly had twin boys??

I would love to know more, and possibley find the Galway Nalty's who are relatives of ours.

This will be an 80th birthday present for my dear old Mum, she is 78 now so i have given myself 2 years to solve the mystery of the Nalty's.

Any help, infrmation, research will be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Best Wishes, Lilli from LEamington Spa a grand daughter of Bessie Nalty