Author Topic: Patrick Ryan in Milford Carlow?  (Read 8772 times)

Offline bebe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Ryan in Milford Carlow?
« on: Thursday 25 November 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I've been avoiding this part of my family tree for years because up until now, all I have known about my paternal grandmother's family was that she had a large number of siblings, who all seem to have emigrated to Australia in the 1880s, and that the parents, who probably emigrated as well, were Patrick and Bridget Ryan from Tipperary.

I know the names of some of the siblings, and following up on these, discovered a marriage entry for one of them which stated that Patrick Ryan came from Milford co Carlow.

As I don't know a lot about the various Irish counties, can anyone tell me how I should reconcile this latest information with the claims to origins in Tipperary?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Ryan in Milford Carlow?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Milford is just a short distance (~6km) south of Carlow town, and although Co. Carlow and Co. Tipperary are quite close, Co. Kilkenny lies in between.

As far as I can see the closest point in Co. Tipperary to Milford would be about 60km to the west and maybe near to Ballingarry.

See google map : Milford Co. Carlow to Ballingarry Co. Tipperary

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bebe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane. I'm still in the dark then....unless, of course, Patrick moved to co Carlow after his children were born.

Offline Robert H.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bebe,

I am just new to Rootschat having discovered your post on a Patrick Ryan supposedly born in Milford, County Carlow.  The Ryans you decribe in your post seem to fit some of my Ryans, but not exactly.  My GGGrandfather was Patrick Ryan (b. circa 1834) married to an Anastatia Cummins (b. circa 1836)  Almost all their children seem to have been born in Ballinabranagh in County Carlow, and most except Sara Agnes (b. 02/08/1866) emmigrated to Australia in the 1880's.  Patrick had a son James Bernard (b. 22/03/1869) who married a Bridgid Constable in South Australia 28/04/1903 and their marriage notice mentions that his father Patrick was either from Milford, or was born in Milford.  I would love to share info with you and work out if our Ryans are connected.   Robert H.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
dont know if you have these details already... extracted births for several children of Patrick and Anastasia are listed on FamilySearch :

Mary Ryan, 25 Apr 1864, 0517, Leighlinbridge, Co. Carlow
 James Ryan, 22 Mar 1869, Co. Carlow,
 Michael Ryan, 20 Feb 1872, Co. Carlow
 Thomas Ryan, 08 Aug 1874, Co. Carlow

Parents to the above are : Patrick Ryan & Anastatia Cummins

see : Ryan / Cummins births

The first birth give a slightly more detailed location which might help in the search, as in the sub-district of Leighlinbridge, which is located about 12km south of Carlow town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
some details on the locations -

Ballinabranagh is about 9km south-west of Carlow town, and the same distance north of the town of Leighlinbridge. Milford, which is a village, is 6km east of Ballinabranagh townland.

see : Carlow town to Milford, Ballinabrannagh & Leighlinbridge  (Google maps)

Milford village and an estate or house of the same name were in the townland of Ballygowan (Civil parish of Cloydagh), which has a border with Ballinabranagh townland. There was also a bridge over the river Barrow adjacent to the village, known as Milford bridge.

The location of Milford marked on Google maps, seems to be Milford Crossroads, which is east of the village and bridge.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Robert H.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Shane.  I have most of the details you sent me, and more.  I would love to be in touch with Bebe, and need a few more posts before I can send a personal messge.

I don't have any evidence that there is a Tipperary connection, and there is a chance that Bebe and I have a different Ryan family, but she is definitely referring to some of my Ryans in her question.

Thanks again for your help,

Robert H.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Bebe hasn't logged in to RootsChat since March this year, but should have received notification of our posts, and will hopefully return and reply  soon.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Robert H.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Cheers,

Robert H.